where can i find the cheapest bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreese

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a cheap beer and the cheapest bottles I can find and sell them for a dolar out of my van. That's taken out of context so don't judge me haha but I'm trying to make a little profit. If I buy the cheapest ingredient kit i ve found online (ak47 on northern brewer) which is $18 and spend $28 on bottles it'd be $46 so I could be losing money if I do this. Is there anywhere online where I can buy bottles for very very cheap?

kreese said:
I'm trying to make a cheap beer and the cheapest bottles I can find and sell them for a dolar out of my van. That's taken out of context so don't judge me haha but I'm trying to make a little profit. If I buy the cheapest ingredient kit i ve found online (ak47 on northern brewer) which is $18 and spend $28 on bottles it'd be $46 so I could be losing money if I do this. Is there anywhere online where I can buy bottles for very very cheap?

FYI, it is illegal to sell Homebrew without a liquor license. It is felony BTW. Even for a dollar.....

As to the bottles, Just use commercial bottles that are not twist offs. Get your friends to save them for you.

As to selling homebrew: Now that you have posted it for everyone to see, expect a visit from the ATF. Selling homebrew is illegal after all. As already stated, a felony. Good luck and see you in 5-10 years when you are paroled.;)

Troll? Probably!

Just to add to the whole legality of the issue, his profile states that he is only 18.

kreese said:

Out of your van.....down by the river?

It is illegal to sell homebrew, but it is not illegal to sell bottles, for a reasonable market value, that happen to contain homebrew. I've found bottles online for as much as $1.31 if you include shipping so you should be good selling your bottles for anything less.

If you can't get friends to donate bottles, the cheapest bottles are the ones you drain yourself.

kh54s10 said:
Slightly off topic: When I turned 18 in Connecticut the legal age was lowered from 21 to 18 and when I had turned 21 they raised the legal age back to 21.

Boy, did I luck out or what!:D:drunk:

So you turned the legal drinking age twice! :mug:

Just do what I do when need bottles (or kegs) hang out in your car (or van in your case) at the return center and just wait till you see someone lugging them in and tell them you need them and offer the deposit. Most people could care less.

I use to call a few bars to see if they would save me bottles. in a few days I had more bottles than I knew whet to do with. Then I just went through and recycled the ones that were twist off and then I had about 800 pop tops. (my wife was less than thrilled). But I had enough bottles to last a few days for nothing but time...

It is illegal to sell homebrew, but it is not illegal to sell bottles, for a reasonable market value, that happen to contain homebrew.

Have you any proper citations I can reference to verify this? I'd love to use this "defense" myself. I've a few batches which I bottled, but cannot drink, love to dump them...but...

Not to derail the thread any further -- In the USA, has anyone experience with brewing and age restrictions? If I let my 18 month-old pitch the yeast, is he "the brewer"? If not, which activities, specifically, [if there are indeed age-restrictions on brewing] are excluded?

I love these threads....;) To the OP...what makes you think you can even sell your "beer" for a dollar? Have you tasted it? I bet it tastes like crap.

kh54s10 said:
As to the bottles, Just use commercial bottles that are not twist offs. Get your friends to save them for you.

As to selling homebrew: Now that you have posted it for everyone to see, expect a visit from the ATF. Selling homebrew is illegal after all. As already stated, a felony. Good luck and see you in 5-10 years when you are paroled.;)

Troll? Probably!

The Feds don't do parole.

For cheap bottles, Bells Brewery has cases for $8.00

Why don't you mow some lawns if you want to make money? You will probably have more luck.

If you're going to commit a felony, commit it big.

Keg and sell it in paper cups for a higher margin. Make up business cards with a phone #, post them on telephone poles, supermarket corkboards, under windshield wipers at walmart and deliver.

Have you any proper citations I can reference to verify this? I'd love to use this "defense" myself. I've a few batches which I bottled, but cannot drink, love to dump them...but...

Not to derail the thread any further -- In the USA, has anyone experience with brewing and age restrictions? If I let my 18 month-old pitch the yeast, is he "the brewer"? If not, which activities, specifically, [if there are indeed age-restrictions on brewing] are excluded?

In Georgia, brewing is by household. A household with X number of people over 21 can brew X*Y gallons of beer per year. I don't know the exact amounts, but I think its generous. It doesn't necessarily matter who is doing the actual "brewing".

18 years old and wants to sell beer from his van? I hope you get a visit from the feds and you get fined several "dolars"

What if instead of "selling" your brew, you accept "donations" to purchase your next ingredient kit. Churches make a profit all the time accepting donations. And "not for profit" it's alwats a good way to make profit.. And it's legal! It's a win win....... Just saying

Does anyone know where I can get cheap rolling papers? I'm thinking about selling joints out of my van, but don't tell anyone.

:)

What if instead of "selling" your brew, you accept "donations" to purchase your next ingredient kit. Churches make a profit all the time accepting donations. And "not for profit" it's alwats a good way to make profit.. And it's legal! It's a win win....... Just saying

:confused:

Really nice to see that people are trying to help an underage kid sell alcohol by giving him suggestions to make it legal when in no way are any of them legal. You can't sell alcohol without a licence. You can't make it for anyone outside you house without forming a brewery. Nice imaginary loopholes though...good luck with that.

Really nice to see that people are trying to help an underage kid sell alcohol by giving him suggestions to make it legal when in no way are any of them legal. You can't sell alcohol without a licence. You can't make it for anyone outside you house without forming a brewery. Nice imaginary loopholes though...good luck with that.

The ridiculous part is that the kid can't even possess the stuff...

Jmw5107 said:

Ok, if you sell your brew it's illegal, right? So if you give it away, but accept a suggested donation of lets say $2 a bottle. Thats a 98 dollar donation per batch. $98 - expenses = means you never have to pay to brew again.. the skys the limit with this type of operation. Still confused?

brewingmeister said:

Got nothing better to on a sunday morning.. This is some funny s--t.

Jerseybrews said:
Ok, if you sell your brew it's illegal, right? So if you give it away, but accept a suggested donation of lets say $2 a bottle. Thats a 98 dollar donation per batch. $98 - expenses = means you never have to pay to brew again.. the skys the limit with this type of operation. Still confused?

This is the funny ****.

You here all time about moonshiners getting busted. When has anyone heard about someone getting busted with home brew?

brewingmeister said:
This is the funny ****.
Glad I made you laugh.. B/c its a joke. however if I do give my brew away , I will always accept gifts of homage. This hobby aint free you know

Confused was only the name of the face because there was nothing better... however, not confused about your point...confused about how you think this would ever be a plausible loophole...

lets break it down very simply... you just tried to make a comparison of a religious institution collecting donations (for whatever reason they do with it) to an underage kid, that we have established cant even legally possess the alcohol he makes, "selling" his homebrew for a donation fee... yeah let's see how that would work out when he gets busted.. "officer i swear, im not selling it, im giving it away...im just accepting donations"....so are drug dealers...

The OP has no license, no permits, not even a legal basis to possess the beer in the first place... he's looking for a loophole to be a legal drug dealer (at his age alcohol is considered the same as a drug)

all of these serious suggestions are stupid. it's like ticket scalpers trying to sell a ticker for five times face value but using the loophole of "buy this awesome pen and get a free ticket to _____"

Jerseybrews said:
Glad I made you laugh.. B/c its a joke. however if I do give my brew away , I will always accept gifts of homage. This hobby aint free you know

It is one thing to accept "gifts of homage" from friends whom you share your beer with. It is entirely different if you're soliciting "donations" from people you don't know out of your van. Add the kid's age into the equation, and you're talking about an even larger issue.

all of these serious suggestions are stupid. it's like ticket scalpers trying to sell a ticker for five times face value but using the loophole of "buy this awesome pen and get a free ticket to _____"

Actually it is legal to sell tickets for more than face value now as long as you are not on the event property.

But not legal for this KID to sell beer. If I thought I would get away with any of those loopholes I would be at the local flee market every Monday selling my beer in cups and every Thursday selling the same beer at the local farmers market.

You here all time about moonshiners getting busted. When has anyone heard about someone getting busted with home brew?

Nobody has gotten busted for homebrew...I have researched it. But that doesn't mean you should make ass beer and try to sell it.

Nobody has gotten busted for homebrew...I have researched it. But that doesn't mean you should make ass beer and try to sell it.

I would think this would depend on how you researched it. I am sure that at some time or another someone was arrested for selling home brewed beer. It might not have been described as selling homebrew, rather something like "selling alcoholic beverages illegally".

Phunhog said:

That is a pretty broad statement...

That is a pretty broad statement...

You are right that it is kind of broad....What I meant is that I can't find a case where a homebrewer has been arrested/fined/cited for homebrewing, including taking "donations". I am talking about "legitimate" homebrewers...not some guy selling "beer" out of his van to make a buck.

Ok guys drink a beer and relax. I'm assuming where your from, you don't know what sarcasm is when you read it.. First off he's not a kid he is a a adult. If he wants to break the law hes a grown man and he can make his own choices. So all of you waited to you were 21 to have your first drink right? Give me a break. If the "man" wants to brew let him brew. What he does with his brew is up to him. I agree he is dumb. But roll with it.. Help him learn the hobby. Don't try to shut him down... I dont get people.. He can legally buy everything he need to brew... But he cant pitch the yeast for 3 yrs.... I guess I'm done with my rant. I leave you be to yell at each other. Im bowing out.. It's no longer worth my time.... Good luck kid. I hope you learn to make some killer brew. Maybe you should start with some juice, corn sugar and wine yeast it might be cheaper then beer plus youd get more alcohol in it. In that case if you choose to sell it to people you can charge more.... And remember it's only illegal if you get caught.. CHEERS!

Back