Swami's Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borden

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Rehydrated
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Almost a \"mini IPA,\" this beer was inspired by New Glarus\' Moon Man pale ale.
8 lbs Domestic 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
.5 lb Caramel 40L
.5 lb Carapils

Mash at 155F

60m: .5 oz Cascade (6.4% AA)
15m: .5 oz Cascade (4.0%)
10m: .5 oz Columbus (13.9%)
5m: .5 oz Cascade (6.4%)
1m: .5 oz Cascade (4.0%)
1m: .5oz Columbus (13.9%)
Dry Hop: 1 oz Columbus (13.9%)

I got really low efficiency on this batch due to a bad crush (57%), so this is taking that into account. Also had different AA% Cascades, but the point is to have a beer that's about 4% ABV, 30-32 IBU, with the intense citrus aroma and flavor of these C hops. I mashed a little high, figuring I wanted some body to help balance the intense hops flavors.

After just 5 days in bottle, this is my favorite beer yet. Smells fantastic, beautiful color, and yes, intense hops flavors with a malt sweetness in the background. Definitely tastes and feels bigger than 4%, which is great, because once these sit a teensy bit longer, I'll probably be drinking them pretty fast!

I love moon man. My parents live in WI and my mom knows to buy me a case whenever she's coming for a visit. I will be trying this beer out. Any updates to your recipe? Thanks

It's been aging well. I still haven't had a chance to get any Moon Man, so I can't say if it's really all that similar in terms of recipe particulars--and I kind of doubt it on the hops, since MM apparently uses something like 5 hops, including Riwaka which I can't get--but this is definitely something I'll be re-brewing. The hops aroma and flavor are top notch. Definitely remember to dry hop!

Update: got some Moon Man did a comparison. Colors are practically identical. My beer has a stronger citrus flavor and is slightly less bitter, but that's actually something I prefer, myself. Overall, very similar to Moon Man, so if you want to clone that, I'd suggest looking at other hops (Amarillo, Riwaka, Chinook?), but if you want a similarly sessionable, hoppy pale ale, hey, I'm pretty proud of this one!

Back