Wine coolers, or something like it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szerek

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying some hard lemonade this coming weekend, however, after reading about yeast problems I was steering away from it.

Then I thought of something. Has anyone here ever just taken some frozen concentrate, dumped it into some water and fermented it with a low attenuation yeast strain?

If so, how did it come out?

I'm looking for something similar to wine coolers, minus the wine, for my mother who hates beer.

Any suggestions? I was just going to throw 4 gallons of water in my 5.5 gallon fermentor, dump in 8 cans of frozen concentrate and let some ale yeast work out on and see what was produced.

Any thoughts?

Apfelwein!! I love the stuff, it tastes like applejuice only it gets you fnarked.

Mine isn't even carbonated yet, but I've had it flat, both warm and cold, and its great.

Most commercal "wine coolers" are actually malt-based...no wine.

I'd think you'd want some malt in there to avoid making cider. Maybe a low-gravity, extra-light no-hop beer, with fruit juice added in the fermenter?

Do you keg? If you do, go ahead and make a "punch" with lemonade and everclear, to taste. Then carbonate. Might want it to be a bit more watered down vs. straight lemonade. Not a wine cooler, but definitely COOL!
You could add some Hennesy and call it Leminotic!

Bike N Brew said:
Most commercal "wine coolers" are actually malt-based...no wine.

I'd think you'd want some malt in there to avoid making cider. Maybe a low-gravity, extra-light no-hop beer, with fruit juice added in the fermenter?
I thought most wine coolers were apple based and most malt beverages were malt based. Although it seems malt beverages are on the increase in popularity vs wine coolers.

Apfelwein is a really popular, easy to make beverage that is not beer like.
Or you could experiment with some country wine recipes.
I would think you could make something like a winecooler by adding sugar free koolaid mix to something like Apfelwein. Personally I'd rather not add the koolaid and just serve it with some Sprite as has been recommended.

Craig

Back