AHS Hefeweizen Priming Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
Just bottled the Anniversary Hefeweizen yesterday from Austin Homebrew Supply, when I calculated the required priming sugar for a Hefeweizen tastybrew said 8oz, the kit came with 4.5 oz.

Anyone know the reason for this? Are they just trying to prevent lawsuits from potential bottle bombs or is it just the same generic priming amount for every kit? :confused:

Needless to say, I supplemented with 3.2oz brown sugar to bring the total up to 7.7oz

4.5 oz or 3/4 cup is a standard amount. It is an industry standard. I would be concerned that 8 oz. would be overly carbonated.

Forrest

I bottled this exact kit a few weeks ago and used the included priming sugar. The beers are perfectly carbonated for a Hefe. I would not use more, as i think the beers would be severely over carbonated. Btw, this is an excellent kit! Everyone loves it.

I bottled this exact kit a few weeks ago and used the included priming sugar. The beers are perfectly carbonated for a Hefe. I would not use more, as i think the beers would be severely over carbonated. Btw, this is an excellent kit! Everyone loves it.

I don't doubt the quality of the kit, and I'm sure it tastes great using the standard carbonation levels, as would any beer; I'm just saying it's not the right amount of priming sugar to match the style. No biggie, just another reason I don't buy kits.

I don't doubt the quality of the kit, and I'm sure it tastes great using the standard carbonation levels, as would any beer; I'm just saying it's not the right amount of priming sugar to match the style. No biggie, just another reason I don't buy kits.

AHS gives the option not to have the priming sugar included, for people that:

* keg
* have priming sugar in bulk
* want to use a different amount

So I am not sure it is a good reason not to buy kits :)

AHS gives the option not to have the priming sugar included, for people that:

* keg
* have priming sugar in bulk
* want to use a different amount

So I am not sure it is a good reason not to buy kits :)

good point, maybe I just don't like kits in general..I do love AHS tho

Back