Disappointed with dry hopping using SS ball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
I picked up one of these intending to use it with pellets and I'm curious what other peoples results are with them. My only concern would be that the hops are packed too tight once the soak and aren't loose enough to get utilized effectively.

I've used a smaller version of this 3" tea ball and unfortunately it busted open on me! Clogged the keg and took about a week to get beer out. Probably because it was 10 years old and well used.

Anyhow, how long have you have the hops sitting on the beer? Has it been at serving temperature?

Yeah, the balls will get plugged. But, I think, more importantly, the keg will need to sit at room temperature for a week to effectively extract the volatile compounds that give dry hopped beer that awesome aroma.

Those tea balls don't work for pellets- the sludge slides through. But they work great for leaf hops! One thing to remember is that the hops have to be "loose" in the ball. You don't need a marble- they sink anyway. Jamming in a whole ounce won't give a very good effect. You're better off with 1/2 ounce or so, so that the hops are in contact with the beer. I use a couple of them in a keg, if I want to hop with a whole ounce.

Wow!
Thanks for the replies!
OK, next time I'll let them soak in for a week at room temp and only use 1/2 oz and both balls, and no marbles.
I'll also expt with leaf hops but I shouldn't think you could get much weight in there.
BTW, I didn't get any sludge coming through but the hop pellets were pretty much expanded to the max.
Cheers!

Back