Crazy CFC idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post...I will make an introduction post later, but let's just say I've been perusing for a while, so thanks for all the information, even though you didn't realize you were directly giving it to me!

Anyway, as the title says, I just came up with a crazy counter flow wort chiller idea, that I don't know if it will work or not so I'm looking for some industrial feedback.

I saw some flexible copper pipe at a ridiculous price in a sears warehouse clearance store today, so being the homebrewer, quickly snatched it up. It's 25' of 1/4" OD though...a little on the small side. I take it home and begin the unwinding process...then something comes up (Red Wings game) so I try to quickly put it back into a crappy coil for storage before I can lend adequate time to this project. In doing this, it crimps right in the middle and there's no use in uncrimping this, so I just split it apart. It's directly in the middle, coincidentally, so 2 x 12.5' of tubing.

Now I'm thinking how to salvage this and I came up with this. It is 1/4" so could I feasibly do a "super"-coil (coil one around the other) and place the super coil in the garden hose? If I'm going to start the wort flow via siphon, is the flow rate going to be the same if I were to split the siphon line for a double intake into the copper pipe? My thinking is this...if the flow rate is the same as if the line weren't split, then it would make sense...more surface area being exposed to the water, but over a shorter distance. This might make up for the smaller diameter of the tubing, I think.

Or should I just re-solder the snipped ends together in hopes of salvaging one 25' length of tubing?

If it makes any difference, the hose water today, at 85F, was 75F. I'm doing 5 gal full boils.

Thanks for any insight...I may try to concoct some sketches tomorrow at work and post them so you have a visualization.

1/4" OD is what, something like 1/8" ID? If you plan on using gravity to feed the flow don't see it happening. I can see just the hot break stopping that. If you want to use a pump, it might not be ideal but might work.

sure, give it a try, and report back to use how it worked.

Latest posts

Back