storing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
I'm in China and I've posted a bit about some questions I have regarding doing a priming solution and a yeast starter. I have no DME or LME, just grain. I'm wondering about doing a small mash to have some wort for finishing (priming) our first batch in a couple weeks and starting our next batch (yeast starter).

If I use 2 lbs of grain do I use the same water/grain ratios as our original batch?

Also wondering about storing unused wort. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks!

You should design your starter wort to be ~ 1.040 (if you have a yeast vial or propagator). Water to grain ratio is relatively unimportant as long as you aim for the 1.040 OG. You also don't have to boil as long as you would for your beer. You can boil for about 15 minutes to kill any wild yeasties/bacteria and call it good. Remember, you can make your starter, let it get rolling for 24 hours, chill it, decant the liquid off, shake and pitch. Bottom line is, your don't have to add the entire contents of the starter to your final wort.

how about canning it? that way you could also store whatever wort you had and dilute with sterilized water when you want a starter regardless of gravity.

how about canning it? that way you could also store whatever wort you had and dilute with sterilized water when you want a starter regardless of gravity.

+1

If you don't have the resources to can, consider bottling it. Just sanitize the bottle, put the wort in and cap it. Just throw it in the fridge and break it out when you need it. Jamil uses this technique.

I was going to ask this question. Can you make a stronger mixture of sugar and just add water (less fridge room).

Thanks

basic table/corn sugar? I would advise against that...

Remember, your yeast need to be able to metabolize more complex sugars. You want them to get started on something that has those more complex sugars (using wort).

You CAN produce a stronger wort (1040 +) to make a starter intended for storing but you'll want to add boiled (sterilized) water to reduce the OG to ~ 1040 before pitching the yeast into the starter.

Just to address some serious safety concerns here. If you are going to can/bottle unfermented wort, then it need to stay in the fridge if you are keeping it for more than a few weeks. Botulism is not fun for anyone, and I would not want to be part of those responsible.

I am not saying not to can starter wort, I do for almost every starter. I just want everyone to stay safe.

ThePearsonFam said:
You should design your starter wort to be ~ 1.040 (if you have a yeast vial or propagator). Water to grain ratio is relatively unimportant as long as you aim for the 1.040 OG. You also don't have to boil as long as you would for your beer. You can boil for about 15 minutes to kill any wild yeasties/bacteria and call it good. Remember, you can make your starter, let it get rolling for 24 hours, chill it, decant the liquid off, shake and pitch. Bottom line is, your don't have to add the entire contents of the starter to your final wort.

Boiling for 15min sounds good. What about mashing? Still need typical mash/sparge time?

ThePearsonFam said:
+1

If you don't have the resources to can, consider bottling it. Just sanitize the bottle, put the wort in and cap it. Just throw it in the fridge and break it out when you need it. Jamil uses this technique.

Glass or plastic bottles.

I throw leftover wort from my all-grain mashes into gallon freezer bags and freeze. Then, when i want to do a starter, i just thaw, boil, chill & pitch. The runnings i collect are typically around 1.020, but the longer i boil, the closer to 1.040 i get.

I've found this procedure to work pretty well, and i've been able to use the wort weeks and sometimes months after initial freezing.

I throw leftover wort from my all-grain mashes into gallon freezer bags and freeze. Then, when i want to do a starter, i just thaw, boil, chill & pitch. The runnings i collect are typically around 1.020, but the longer i boil, the closer to 1.040 i get.

I've found this procedure to work pretty well, and i've been able to use the wort weeks and sometimes months after initial freezing.

Awesome idea...

I used to can starters and use them months later, no issues. Dave Miller talks about it this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Worlds-Great-Beers-Step/dp/0882667769

I would advise against using the method of canning that is recommended in this book (Miller recommends using a water bath).

Wort is not acidic enough to prevent botulism spores, and the water bath method does not heat the wort to a high enough temperature. I believe 240 degrees is needed to kill the spores, and boiling at 212, even for a long time, will not kill do the job. To safely can wort, a 15psi pressure cooker should be used to get to 240 (250 is better) and held there for at least 15 minutes.

If you use the water bath method, at the very least, keep the jars in the fridge below 40 degrees as that should slow the down the spores reproduction process.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how you can post something on page 1, and somebody else completely ignores it and recommends dangerous procedures. Then somebody else needs to come in on page 2 and repeat said warning message. Rinse and repeat.

I would advise against using the method of canning that is recommended in this book (Miller recommends using a water bath).

Wort is not acidic enough to prevent botulism spores, and the water bath method does not heat the wort to a high enough temperature. I believe 240 degrees is needed to kill the spores, and boiling at 212, even for a long time, will not kill do the job. To safely can wort, a 15psi pressure cooker should be used to get to 240 (250 is better) and held there for at least 15 minutes.

If you use the water bath method, at the very least, keep the jars in the fridge below 40 degrees as that should slow the down the spores reproduction process.

You're probably right. I never had an issue, but it doesn't mean I won't. This type of info wasn't as easily available when I was brewing years ago. Since I started brewing again, I've just been using the Activator packs and avoiding starters, but when I brew bigger beers, I'll have to do starters again.

For what it's worth, I just make my starters from DME. Boil some water, add the DME, boil fora few more minutes, chill and pitch yeast. Decant off the water after crashing. Mix and pitch to wort. This is my method today. It's easy for me since I simply have to store the DME.

Like, cactusgarrett, I put any leftover wort from my last batch (usually a pint or two) into a plastic container and put this in the refrigerator. I allow the hops to settle and separate from the liquid for a day or two. Then I transfer the liquid into a plastic 1 liter bottle and freeze.

When I need a starter, I just take out a plastic bottle, let it thaw, boil, cool and use.

Back