party pig and bottling sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPER

Reaction score
party pig, and bottling batch, I want to fill a pig with half and bottle the rest the question I have is can I add the priming sugar that would normally be use for bottling to the full batch in the bottling bucket and just fill the pig and bottles or does the pig need a different amount of sugar for some reason ? I read that some people say the amount of sugar that the pig says to use sometimes makes it to carbonated ?

You will then need to adjust the amount of sugar you use for the remaining beers. You could add that to the bottling bucket.

25 beers would = around 2.5 oz of corn sugar (depending on what style your are brewing).

ok
thanks guess i'll just fill the pig before i put the rest in the bottling bucket and adjust the sugar amount

Just put the beer in the bottling bucket with your normal amount of priming sugar and then fill the pig from the bucket. The party pig instructions say to add a different amount of sugar because the pig is only 2.25 gallons.

Just put the beer in the bottling bucket with your normal amount of priming sugar and then fill the pig from the bucket. The party pig instructions say to add a different amount of sugar because the pig is only 2.25 gallons.

I did this a month ago and all worked out fine. Fits perfectly in the refrigerator, no complaints from the wife on the space it takes up.

I have always measured seperately. I use about 1.8 oz priming for the 25 bottles and 1/4 cup for the party pig. I have had great results. I don't have room to get a real keg set up going, so the party pig works great for me. Keeps pressure to for at least 3 weeks...don't know after that since my batch is usually gone. (since then i have had pigs longer. I have had pigs keep carbonation for up to 4 months without a problem).

I wouldn't recommend priming the whole batch and then filling pig and bottles. I am only guessing, but based on what I have read on the party pig it doesn't take much to end up with "nothin' but foam"

Oops, sorry. I mixed each with 500 mL of water. The amount of water is all semantics. You just need enough to dissolve the sugar and be able to boil to sterilze.

Latest posts

Back