Weird "bite" to the beer...BLAH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just made beer from a kit (Raspberry Wheat Beer - Raspberry Wheat w/ Danstar Munich dry yeast). I bottled it last night after two weeks of fermenting and the hydrometer reading was dead on.

Well, I couldn't resist having a taste of the beer and I noticed a "bite" that almost made it undrinkable. I know there was no carbonation and it was room temperature, but if the beer stays this way, I won't be able to drink it or give it to anyone else.

No infection is visible (no stringy stuff or anything weird on top of the beer) and it definitely smells like beer should. It just has a very sharp taste. Is this green beer? Should I expect all to be well in a couple weeks?

Thanks in advance...

Welcome! Stop drinking green uncarbonated beer and you'll stop tasting weird flavors. :D

Seriously, your beer will improve considerably after a few weeks.

I've brewed this kit before. Give it some time and it should turn out great!

RDWHAHB!

Thanks for all your responses...it's nice to hear that I am probably worrying for nothing. I will give it it a taste again in two-three weeks so I can see how it progresses.

I know that wheat beers are generally supposed to be consumed young so hopefully it clears up when the bottles start to carb.

Also, bottling was definitely not my favorite part of the brewing process...might have to look into a kegging setup for the future :)

Back