First time using Notthingham Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benver

Reaction score
I haven't used this yeast before. I see that the pack recommends that the yeast be rehydrated.

My questions is how crucial is this? I have used different dry yeast strains in the past but have never done this suggested method.

Am I in trouble if I didn't follow this procedure? Anyone have any experience with this, or helpful insight?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

I haven't used this yeast before. I see that the pack recommends that the yeast be rehydrated.

My questions is how crucial is this? I have used different dry yeast strains in the past but have never done this suggested method.

Am I in trouble if I didn't follow this procedure? Anyone have any experience with this, or helpful insight?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

I've always hydrated and it really isn't hard. Some folks use their cooled wort to hydrate and adjust the yeast to temperature in one swell swoop and it takes 15 minutes. I don't even use the wort... I just pitch the yeast into a pint glass of room temp water and let it stand for about 15 minutes before stirring. Then I pitch the pint glass into my oxygenated wort and I'm done.

I've heard people are successful not even hydrating the yeast though. It's up to you but honestly I sleep a little easier following directions. That's just me :D

Until this last batch I always just sprinkled the yeast on top of the foam that the wort made when I aerated. My beers always fermented just fine.

You're fine either way, but will get a faster start to your fermentation if you hydrate it beforehand as per the pack instructions. You can also leave it WAY longer in the hydration bit, the whole "after 15 minutes immediately pitch!" business is hooey.

You're fine either way, but will get a faster start to your fermentation if you hydrate it beforehand as per the pack instructions. You can also leave it WAY longer in the hydration bit, the whole "after 15 minutes immediately pitch!" business is hooey.

Yeah, I didn't mean to give the impression that you HAVE to pitch after 15 minutes. I just said that I follow the instructions of letting the yeast sit on top of the water for 15 minutes before stirring the starter because that's what it says to do. Maybe it has to do with avoiding thermal shock? I have no idea. I just do it.

Back