biab question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I want to get my first all grain kit from NB and half it to biab because i don't have all the all grain equipment yet. This would be my first try at an AG so I'm not sure of a few things. Can i try regulating my electric stove for mashing or will i scorch the grains on the bottom of the kettle? Also what do people generally use for bags for that much grain?

I use a large grain bag from the brew store. They all carry them. They are made of nylon and work great.
You can mash on your stove. Just bring everything to temp then turn OFF the burner. You will need to move your pot on an electric stove because the carryover heat from the burner will cause your temps to coast over. Just move it to the side.

wilserbrewer said:
If your pot is small enough you can just put the pot w/ mash into a warm oven to keep heat constant.

It will work! And my oven setting will go as low as 150 so should i pre heat the oven to 150 and then turn it off when i put the kettle in to help hold the temp?

If you need to up your temps in the stove top be sure to stir constantly. With BIAB your grist should be thinner than a traditional mash, but what you don't want is this.

IMG_4420 (640x427).jpg

Just add hot water to adjust temp instead of reheating the entire kettle.

I've put a colander on the bottom of my kettle before so when I do heat it up the grain bag doesn't hit the bottom of the kettle. It worked fine with no problems.

It will work! And my oven setting will go as low as 150 so should i pre heat the oven to 150 and then turn it off when i put the kettle in to help hold the temp?

yes it will work, the concept is that even if the oven is 140 or 160 the temp difference is small and the mash will keep constant temp....RDWHAHB cheers...

Back