St Patrick's Day Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidLunch5211

Reaction score
With the holiday comming up, I ask you all, what will you be brewing to celebrate St Patrick's Day? I think I will go with a nice cream stout.

I'm thinking about some type of low gravity Oatmeal Stout. I don't have a nitro system, and I find dry stouts don't work so well on regular C02. My line of thinking is bridging the gap between the traditional Irish Dry Stout and an Oatmeal Stout.

Also, some type of Irish Red.

Need to get to brewing.

I have an Irish Red in bottles now that sadly I don't think I can make last until then.:( My ESB should be perfectly conditioned for celebrating St. Patty's day with as I brew my first American IPA recipe creation.:mug:

im thinking about a dry irish stout with some vanilla and cocoa nibs added. ive never used cocoa nibs before, anyone know a good amount to use for 5 gallons?

Ive got a delicious Irish Red going in bottles tomorrow :D

Bottling the same either tomorrow night or Saturday morning!
Gonna turn around and start a new batch on top of the yeast cake, I expect this batch'll be gone by the time I go to sleep on St. Patrick's Day.

I'm brewing a OG 1.044 dry stout on Saturday. I'm pitching a crapload of irish ale yeast to get it to ferment quickly. Hope to have it bottled in 10 days, which would give it 18 days to carb up. Hope it works.

I saw that brewing tv are you going for the 1880's version? I may also try to replicate a vanilla porter I had at Breckenridge Brewery.

Bottled 15L of what I'm calling my Liquor Pig Stout a week ago. Drank 3 of them Sunday, and they were actually nicely carbed (to about 2.0 volumes) already. Gonna have to hang tight to make them last to St. Patricks Day.

I have about 6 gallons of Irish Red that I'll be enjoying.

The batch fermented super aggressively, it was gushing out over the top before I could wrangle up a blow-off tube.

I'd say my first time using a stirplate was a success!

I just picked up my grains for an Oatmeal Stout. Should be done just in time! I have never done one before, looking forward to it.

I brewed an Irish Red last weekend. It may be my first beer on tap if I get my kegerator set up in time.

I brewed an Irish Stout from John Palmer's recipe from this podcast show about 4 weeks ago. I just kegged it and primed it in the keg a couple of days ago. It will be ready for St. Patty's Day.

Just picked up the grains and DME for a PM Vanilla Oatmeal Stout yesterday..... Thinking about brewing tomorrow morning.

Sriad Dhasain Single Stout Porter from the most recent episode of brewing tv

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/02/all-about-stout-the-beers-of-brewing-tv-55/

I made a 3gal batch of this (my first AG brew, limited space for grains with BIAB). It smells AMAZING. Only thing is the current EK Goldings are 6.3% alpha. That's right, over double what the recipe calls for, so I cut it back but hope I don't lose the hop character as a result. I first wort hopped to be on the safe side. If the current taste is any indication, this will be my new house porter.

Well, it's not Irish... But I'm currently breweing a batch of Scottish Ale. Using heather tips as well as east kent goldings, let's hope it comes out alright.

I'm doing an oatmeal stout using that limit edition Yorkshire Wyeast. This weekend it goes into the keg to start conditioning. It's also my first attempt at an AG.

Noob question here, but to the people brewing this weekend.
Aren't you all too late to get a good conditioned beer. ~3 weeks.
Seems like the general consensus is 3 weeks Ferm/3 weeks bottle condition.

Even 3 weeks is *enough* for some beers, especially if you can brew something easy in 2 weeks, and have a week for force carb :)

You can still make it! A classic Irish Stout like Guinness Drought or Murphy's is actualy a low alcohol (~4%ABV), session beer. 2,5 weeks in a fermenter + 3 days force carb, or 2 weeks in a fermenter + 1 week primed in bottles is just enough time.

Irish red - then once kegged I made a Porter and used the carboy with the yeast cake in it for an Irish Porter?

I am torn between a milk chocolate stout (kind of a left over grain recipe) and a light rye-ale I've been craving for summer. It'll be my first brew with my own wort chiller. Super excited.

I brewed a bit for the occasion:
Vienna lager
Green Classic American Pilsner
Dry Irish Stout with a pint of soured stout in at boil
Toasted wheat pale ale

Should be a good day. I brewed in advance so it is all ready to go. Now the hard part is not drinking it before the party.

I made a few last year that i still have for this year a good irish cream stout,irish red,irish blonde (loved them all)and i just made an irish amber(probably more british really)which should be good to go by next month since it has just been bottled.Was gonna make a dry irish stout but eh i have a certain yeast and hop agenda that may not fit in with this time frame, could though if i think about it. Im going to have to drink one of each on patty's day.

jonmohno said:
I made a few last year that i still have for this year a good irish cream stout,irish red,irish blonde (loved them all)and i just made an irish amber(probably more british really)which should be good to go by next month since it has just been bottled.Was gonna make a dry irish stout but eh i have a certain yeast and hop agenda that may not fit in with this time frame, could though if i think about it. Im going to have to drink one of each on patty's day.

Love irish cream stout! By far my favorite home brew. Enjoy

Back