How much do I need to mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Hi,

So as of this point Ive only ever done extracts, and steeps. Never had to mash anything, so I wanted a couple of pointers.

I want to do the popcorn beer.

I REALLY want to do the popcorn beer.

So I was thinking of using the Stovetop mash technique by DeathBrewer. But I am unsure of the amount of pilsner malt id need to also to provide the ensymes to convert the Popcorn starch.

So say i wanted to use 1 pound of pop corn (probably bigger than my pot) how much malt would I need to use for conversion?

Could also use some 2row, but I want it to be as light as possible.

Tips?

Building a mash tun is VERY easy and should only cost about $30. That would be my best suggestion.

All you need is:
(1) cooler
(4') PVC pipe
(4) PVC elbows
(1) PVC T fitting
(1) Ball valve

I am interested in this popcorn beer your talking about though...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/popcorn-172838/

But I cant build a mash tun, aside from the fact that you just cant get things at those prices in Norway SWMBO just will "not" let me do that. Any specialy grains I use I have to rolling pin cause she would crap herself If I bought a corona mill :p

So I will be limited to a duel use crab pot (which only has one use ;) )

Just need to know the ratio of conversion, ie what extra ensyms the malt has to give.

yes you can mash like death brewers method just fine, but the cost of a small mash tun is relatively cheap!

To try and help answer your question...I would start with 3-4 Lbs of Pilsner malt. you may need less, some one might chime in and say you need more, but thats where I'd start and I wouldnt be afraid of not having full conversion.

Man, i was "really" hoping youd say like half a pound. Not looking forward to hand cracking 4 pounds.

there is another thread Labeled "popcorn" if you click the New Posts tab on the top of the page...the guy that used popcorn in his recipe used 4lbs Pilsner and 3 Lbs 6-row to convert 1.75 Lbs of popcorn

you might be able to get away with less being that your only looking to convert 1 lb..check out that thread and see what you think.

Back