Improved my BIAB Sparge Efficiency drastically

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones17

Reaction score
Hello out there!

I have been BIAB sparge brewing snice I went AG. I have done about 15 batches and have my process down pretty good. Recently, I upped the ante and started brewing in 2 seperate pots to make 5.5+ gallon batches, as I got tired of putting in all that work for 3-4 gallons when I could do the same work for more volume.

Well, my efficiency has always been 75% pretty much spot on. However, my last 2 brews I got 85% +... unexpectedly. I realized why during my last brew. Since using the 2 brew pots I have been getting higher starting mash temps due to rejigging my process. So, I have been stirring like hell to lower to my target temp. I mean stirring my mash for like 5 minutes straight, hitting my target temp, and lidding it. It must be the stirring that has raised the efficiency so high.

High efficiency is good or bad depending on how you look at it, but this finding is significant for me and I hope it helps other BIAB spargers. Stir your mash like hell, break up all those lumps. Heck, use a whisk!

Cheers! :tank:

great tip, I currently use a type of BIAB system, will test this on my next brew.

I also stir it for a minute or 2 at each 20 minute mark during the mash. One last stir at 60 minutes and then a 10 min mashout at 170 degrees.

I am guessing that it just is simply better water absorbtion, and no lumps whatsoever, that allows for better sugar conversion.

I also got much better efficiency from stirring like hell due to water being to hot...however it's not better conversion but rather scrubbing/removing the sugar's off the grains. The best things in history have come from our mistakes right? Cheers

I would think it's kind of like putting a jolly rancher in a cup of water. After a few minutes there will be a small cloud of color around it. Stir it up and the sugar will spread out more making it easier to transfer from the remaining candy. That made sense to me when I wrote it...

Back