3 Pos 240v Switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any 3 Position 240V switches rated for 30 or 40 amps? My thought is to install a switch AFTER the SSR in an electric HERMS to control two elements, just not at the same time. The 3 positions would be HLT on, OFF and BK on.

If not, any ideas on if its possible to do? Would the cycling fry the switch? I want to eliminate the need to unplug & plug the 240v outlets and just flip a switch to redirect power.

I'm trying to search for one, but while I'm doing that thought I'd throw out an alternative.

You could hit a 30 or 40A circuit breaker then from there you could do a 2 position switch. That way you have your off with the CB and the switch ensures only one operates at a time.

I'll be posting this week, but everything is great!

what I do is have a SSR for each plug (HLT & kettle). Then I use a $5 DPDT 5vdc switch to move the output of the PID to the appropriate SSR.

Maybe I can get some pics up tonight. When I looked at all of the expense, the additional SSR made sense to me.

Not only that, but just in case something goes wrong, I have a "Hot Spare" at the flip of a switch and the change of a plug. I made them both 40a for that reason.

Back