2.5 Gallons batch in 3 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalloweenGod

Reaction score
I want to start to make smaller batchs so I can do some experimenting and comparisons. For a 2.5 gallon batch can I use a 3 gallon carboy as a primary fermenter?

That's what I use...I have a mix of 3 gallon water jugs, mr beer fermenters and betterbottles for my small batch experiments..Like this...

krausen5.jpg

You will find plenty of info on here if oyu search for "small batches" I have posted a bunch of info, and recipes.

Have fun!

:mug:

Sometimes you need a blow off tube, but I usually just switch out the airlock when it gets full of junk.... I've been doing 2.5g all-grain lately, primary in a 3gal BB.

another to add with "i have a 2.5 gallon brewing setup and am fine in 3 gallon carboys"... good luck! sometimes the fermentation gets crazy... just had a 1.080 stout blow off three times :)

You could also do your 2.5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon fermenter bucket if you have one. They work great and you never have to worry about a blowoff tube.

Back