Poll maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how to make a poll but the "Why is my SWMBO always right?" equipment thread made me wonder...

Homebrewing seems to be one of those things that more men are into than women, but also one of those hobbies where that is slowly changing. Which is great of course. But that got me wondering about the board's demographics - are there women posters/brewers reading here? is it tough to shoulder the responsibilities of SWMBO and brewer at the same time?

There's several posters on the boards that are women. Even one of our mods is a woman (but you have to guess which one!*evil grin*) Up until the 20th century, the task of brewing beer was considered women's work, since it's a form of cooking. I'm not sure when it changed to being primarily a men's activity, but I'd wager it was during prohibition, when brewing beer was considered illegal and dangerous ooooo.

I'm pretty reluctant to call my fiancee SWMBO. She has fully supported my brewing obsession and has even conceded the whole basement to me so I can brew there. She helps me plan equipment stuff, offers input on ingredients, and the final product when asked without ever being forced. Some time soon she says she'll join me for an AG session, start to finish, so she can learn more about what it is I think about day and night. :rockin:

SRFeldman79 said:
I'm not quite sure how to make a poll but the "Why is my SWMBO always right?" equipment thread made me wonder...

Homebrewing seems to be one of those things that more men are into than women, but also one of those hobbies where that is slowly changing. Which is great of course. But that got me wondering about the board's demographics - are there women posters/brewers reading here? is it tough to shoulder the responsibilities of SWMBO and brewer at the same time?

Yes there are women posters/brewers here. :) It is not that tough to shoulder the responsibilities of SWMBO and brewer at the same time because most of us are experts in multitasking.:rockin:

I think more women are getting into brewing, but I think there are still a lot of stereotypes out there. I think America thinks of beerdrinkers as Al Bundy types and don't think of it as a "gourmet" activity.

Most of the other brewers I've met have been men. I only personally know one woman brewer.

My impressions from Finland is that back in the day, women made the beer; a description of which can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahti

I made sahti and drank copious amounts of it when I lived there back in 2001 and it has a tendency to "take the legs from under you" as they say in Finland.

I think the main reason that women no longer make beer is more of a division of labour thing more than anything else.

Hedghog

I've been trying to get my SWMBLTBNNO (She who must be listened to, but not necessarily obeyed) to join in on my brew sessions, but she simply doesn't have any interest.:(

Back