Cream Ale Two Kids Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP080
Yeast Starter
Of course
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days at 66F
Tasting Notes
Light bodied and refreshing, this bright yellow beer has a ton of flavor.
This recipe is for 6 gallons at 80% efficiency. I typically lose nearly a gallon to trub/yeast so I can get 5 gallons into the keg. It's also scaled from a 3bbl batch so that's why the amounts are a little odd. Remember to adjust your bittering additions to hit 14-16 IBU here if your %AA is off.

7lbs 2oz American Pale Ale Malt
1lb 3oz Flaked corn
10oz victory malt

0.2oz Mt Hood 60m
0.2oz US Fuggles 60m
0.2oz Fuggles 20m
0.3oz Mt Hood 10m
0.6oz Fuggles 0m

I've never had a BMC drinker turn this down and my craft beer loving freinds can't get enough of it. Along with our ordinary bitter, this is one of my favorite beers to drink. Super flavorful but light and thirst quenching.

Picking up all the supplies today. I've been looking for great session beers, and I'm intrigued. I'll let you know how it goes!

A good clean ale yeast should work great. I prefer WLP080, but we're experimenting with other yeasts due to the problems with re-using blends like this.

It's been a while but I wanted to come back to the thread to mention how awesome this beer is. Will definitely brew again!

Awesome- that's huge praise. It's weird to hear about other people brewing our beers. If you're ever in SD you'll have to come by for a pint of it in the brewery!

Im doing a 3.5 Gallon batch of this tonight.
90Min Mash/Boil and tossin Us-05 Slurry in.

Im doing a 3.5 Gallon batch of this tonight.
90Min Mash/Boil and tossin Us-05 Slurry in.

Hit FG of 1006 on this after two weeks primary can i cold crash this for another week?If so what temp?
Thanks and the sample tasted very tasty.

You can pretty much do whatever you want with it. If your temperature control is pretty good, then you could bottle it now, or let it sit and condition as long as you want. If you want to cold crash it for clarity purposes, then 2-5 or more days seems to be the norm, at anywhere from 32-40ish degrees F.

Happy brewing!

Just cracked first bottle of this batch after a week of carbing and tastes real nice!
Earthy and a tiny hint of mint from the hops but im happy with it.
See what another 2 weeks brings for it.

Just cracked first bottle of this batch after a week of carbing and tastes real nice!
Earthy and a tiny hint of mint from the hops but im happy with it.
See what another 2 weeks brings for it.

Is the mint from the Mt Hood?

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out in the end! This beer is good with some lagering so I find that the longer it stays in the fridge the better it gets. You should try it with the WLP080- super crisp and lager-like.

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out in the end! This beer is good with some lagering so I find that the longer it stays in the fridge the better it gets. You should try it with the WLP080- super crisp and lager-like.

I pitched US-05 and after almost 2 weeks conditioning its getting tastier.will post pic at 3 weeks.
Would def try it with Lager yeast.

May give this one a try this weekend in a one gallon batch (BIAB). Trying to find something my wife can drink.
I'll have to change it a bit and use US 05 yeast. Never used liquid yeast before and being a newbie, not ready yet.
I'll also bottle as not set up to keg.
I noticed one poster commented about having a mint taste. Could this be from one of the hops? The Fuggles hops say they are a bit "woodsy" and "herbal" so that could be the cause? If so, I would like to sub Fuggles for something else? Any suggestions?

May give this one a try this weekend in a one gallon batch (BIAB). Trying to find something my wife can drink.
I'll have to change it a bit and use US 05 yeast. Never used liquid yeast before and being a newbie, not ready yet.

With a 1 gallon batch, there's no need for a starter- you just pour the liquid yeast in, same as dry! The mintiness could definitely be from the hops, but the hop character here should be SUPER chill- just a kiss of hops on the back of your tongue. If you find you're getting more flavor than that from your system, using less hops might be better.

Back