Chocolate beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Anybody recommend a nice extract kit for a chocolate brew?

Could I do a milk stout extract and rack on top of chocolate nibs or is there more to it then that?

Thanks

This is my house stout. I like it, as does Herself, & it's quite well received by friends.
Adjusted/modified for extract.

12oz de-bittered Black
12oz Caramel 80
8oz Pale Chocolate malt

Steep at 154 for 30 minutes.

7.25 lbs Gold LME (1/4 at 60, 3/4 at 15) roughly
1.5oz E K Goldings at 60
1lb lactose at 15

S-04 rehydrated

OG should be roughly 1.058

Ferment at 64 & rack to secondary at 3 weeks, on to 4 oz of Cacao nibs & 1 split vanilla bean ( vodka soaked), for 2 more weeks.
FG should be about 1.015-ish.

Carb at 2-2.2 vols.

tonyp063 said:
This is my house stout. I like it, as does Herself, & it's quite well received by friends.
Adjusted/modified for extract.

12oz de-bittered Black
12oz Caramel 80
8oz Pale Chocolate malt

Steep at 154 for 30 minutes.

7.25 lbs Gold LME (1/4 at 60, 3/4 at 15) roughly
1.5oz E K Goldings at 60
1lb lactose at 15

S-04 rehydrated

OG should be roughly 1.058

Ferment at 64 & rack to secondary at 3 weeks, on to 4 oz of Cacao nibs & 1 split vanilla bean ( vodka soaked), for 2 more weeks.
FG should be about 1.015-ish.

Carb at 2-2.2 vols.

Thanks for recipe but I'm very new and this will be third brew, is this stuff I can find at local brew shop?

If you take it to your LHBS they can duplicate it easily..
If you want to get it mail-order, look at this as an example.

Seriously. Yes, your local shop can do it from a printout. It's a very simple, easy sweet stout.

tonyp063 said:

Seriously. Yes, your local shop can do it from a printout. It's a very simple, easy sweet stout.

You da man thanks!

When you're ready to move up to partial mash (you probably are and don't know it already :) ) I have a pretty good chocolate recipe in my recipe dropdown. It's good for a kitchen partial mash brew.

And +1 on what tony says. When all else fails, print out the recipe, take it in and say "I wanna make this" and any good LHBS will do the rest.

tonyp063 said:

Asking a dumb question but how much water do I use initially to make my wort?

You can do a partial boil (2.5-3.5 gallons) and then top off to 5.25 in the fermenter. Or, if you have a big enough pot & enough heat, you can do a full boil.
How much water for that scenario will be determined by your boil-off rate.

If you do use real chocolate/nibs, note that they contain quite a bit of fat, so you'll end up with what looks like an Exxon Valdez oil slick on top of your beer, both in the fermenter and the final product. This oil kills head retention, because it occupies all of the nucleation sites on the surface, but otherwise it's harmless.

One way to minimize that effect is to roast the fat out of the chocolate/nibs before you use it.

Good luck!!

The last time I made a chocolate stout, I used my standard oatmeal stout recipe and just put a pack cocoa nibs (Ghana) from Northern Brewer in secondary for a week. Came out pretty awesome. I also did a version with cocoa nibs and chipotle peppers. That was even better but still need to tweak the quantities.

Back