Northern Brewer Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdesch75

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just starting to source all of the parts needed for a 3 burner single tier setup and I started to look at pumps for the rig.

Currently I'm leaning towards the March pump as it seems to have pretty consistent reviews. I'm specifically looking for a pump for moving hot wort from my HLT to my MT and from the MT to my boil kettle. So far it's looking like I will need 3 pumps for the rig unless I get creative with the plumbing.

One thing I saw is that the March pump has a plastic head. It looks like the NB pump has a metal head and is a little cheaper. Has anyone used the NB pump yet? If so how do you like it compared to the March?

As fa

The March pumps are rated to 250F, which is far above what you'll expose it to for brewing. Are you looking at the chugger pump too? For me, the decision came down to what was more available at the time of purchase, and where I could get best response from the manufacturer. March won out on both counts, for me.

Golddiggie said:
The March pumps are rated to 250F, which is far above what you'll expose it to for brewing. Are you looking at the chugger pump too? For me, the decision came down to what was more available at the time of purchase, and where I could get best response from the manufacturer. March won out on both counts, for me.

I did take a brief look at the chugger pumps as well and they look solid. Personally I think I'm leaning towards the March pump myself just because I can get the most info on it.

Did you have any issues threading the March pumps? I am looking to install a valve on the outlet to control the flow.

I'm not currently on any time crunch because I'm still building the frame now but the time will come when I need to pull the trigger.

day_trippr said:
fwiw, the Northern Brewer pump with the stainless head is a Chugger Pump...

Cheers!

We're talking about their new "Steelhead", right? The head is clearly Chugger, but are you sure the motor Is too? It seems strange that they'd ask $170, when everyone other shop charges $140 for a Chugger SS inline. I was guessing it might be a Chugger head on a March motor, but I have zero evidence...

Yooper said:
You shouldn't need three pumps- two is what most people have for a single tier stand.

I have two March 809 pumps, and have been happy with them.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping that once I get the frame up the 3rd pump won't be necessary. Ill be posting pics once I build it up along with potential mounting spots for the pumps.

image-3111960750.jpg

That looks a lot like my stand, although I've recently gone to a keg for a MLT instead of the cooler. I still use the cooler for 5 gallon batches, though!

I have one pump mounted between the HLT and the MLT, and one between the MLT and BK. I have an all electric system now, and run HERMS during the mash. Still, I can't imagine why you'd need three pumps. I use two sometimes, but when I batch sparge I only use one.

I would be rather concerned over having the cooler between the two keggles. That will be a HOT place for it to sit. IMO, better to make a keggle mash tun, or move the cooler to one of the end positions. That way it's only getting heated on one side. I also hope you're planning on using shields around the burners to better direct the flame, and deflect wind.

I don't have a stand yet. I also only need a single pump. I typically use gravity to feed the sparge water into my keggle mash tun. I use a pump to recirculate within the mash tun (when heating the mash to prevent scorching) and then when it's time to sanitize the plate chiller before the chill stage and during the chill. I have a second pump motor and only need to get a new head for it (I buggered up the threads on the poly head after changing fittings several times).

Golddiggie said:
I would be rather concerned over having the cooler between the two keggles. That will be a HOT place for it to sit. IMO, better to make a keggle mash tun, or move the cooler to one of the end positions. That way it's only getting heated on one side. I also hope you're planning on using shields around the burners to better direct the flame, and deflect wind.

I'm in total agreement. The original plans showed the cooler in the middle. I'm thinking of moving it to the far right side of the rig.

As for shielding I was going to be adding shielding to the burners in addiction to the front of the rig. (Not really for heat reasons but to give more flexibility to mounting the pumps and looks.)

Yooper said:
That looks a lot like my stand, although I've recently gone to a keg for a MLT instead of the cooler. I still use the cooler for 5 gallon batches, though!

I have one pump mounted between the HLT and the MLT, and one between the MLT and BK. I have an all electric system now, and run HERMS during the mash. Still, I can't imagine why you'd need three pumps. I use two sometimes, but when I batch sparge I only use one.

Like the placement ideas!!

How about putting a shelf about 10-12 inches below the burners? That could act as a good heat shield for the pump motors and such. Then have a lower shelf (another ~12" below that one) for the pumps or anything else you might want to store down there. I would think that with the shelves, you'd have a good amount of storage to keep brewing items. Should make for more efficient storage all around.

Something else that I just thought of. With the burners going, the top of the stand could also get hot. Unless you plan to somehow protect the bottom of the cooler, it could start to melt. There are some good barrier materials you could either cover the cooler bottom (or sides too) with. Welders blanket comes to mind (I use some on my keggle mash tun to insulate it).

Golddiggie said:
How about putting a shelf about 10-12 inches below the burners? That could act as a good heat shield for the pump motors and such. Then have a lower shelf (another ~12" below that one) for the pumps or anything else you might want to store down there. I would think that with the shelves, you'd have a good amount of storage to keep brewing items. Should make for more efficient storage all around.

Something else that I just thought of. With the burners going, the top of the stand could also get hot. Unless you plan to somehow protect the bottom of the cooler, it could start to melt. There are some good barrier materials you could either cover the cooler bottom (or sides too) with. Welders blanket comes to mind (I use some on my keggle mash tun to insulate it).

Very interesting! I didn't think of adding a shelf to help with hear shielding! I think that might be easier than my original ideas! Lol that's what the forums are for!

Thx

I have a single tier with cooler in the middle and have no heat issues. I did fab up a very basic heat shield out of a scrap of aluminum...

I also run 2 March pumps - no problem threading valves and/or camlock fittings directly to the pump.

photo 1.jpg

Deric said:
I have a single tier with cooler in the middle and have no heat issues. I did fab up a very basic heat shield out of a scrap of aluminum...

I also run 2 March pumps - no problem threading valves and/or camlock fittings directly to the pump.

Your rig is pretty much exactly what mine should look like when I'm done! We hope...lol

I have most of the frame roughed out so far. I have a Blichmann 15g Boilermaker that my fiancé was good enough to get me for Xmas but whether I use it as a boil pot or mashtun decides the additional pieces I need. Ordered up 2 March pumps last night.

Back