Pale Ale - Leftover Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a pale ale with a random assortment of grains I have available. Its a 4 gallon batch...

OG: 1.055

43% 2-Row
25% Marris Otter
12% Vienna
12% Rye
08% Crystal 20L

35.2 IBU, BU:GU 0.64

0.30 oz Columbus FWH
0.50 oz Centennial 10 min
0.75 oz Centennial 05 min
0.75 oz Centennial 00 min
0.75 oz Centennial DH

US-05

I also have some 40L, Wheat Malt, and more Centennial/Columbus I could add/sub in. Or, I could run to a mini LHBS nearby and grab basic things like more 2-Row to make it more of a simple bill. It will be my first FWH btw. Thoughts?

Stuff like this is fun to try and keeps things interesting, so I say go for it. I did an IPA with the leftover hops that had been collecting in my freezer and with yeast I'd re-pitched from my Big Brew Day brew...called it Sloppy Seconds IPA. It's not the best IPA I've ever made but it's very good.

I like it...looks really nice to me.

I'd save the extra hops to boost the dry hop if it needs it.

Sounds good! I think I'm going to skip the fwh and just go 60. I'll experiment with that in a more focused way at another time. Thanks for the input.

Another thought... I have some washed 1450 (Denny's) in the fridge. Should I go US05 or 1450? It's already going to have some malt character with the bill as is... would 1450 be pushing the mouthfeel too much?

Latest posts

Back