Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, an 8 inch collar gives you a perfect fit for ball lock kegs on the Frigidaire 8.8cf. Not a lot of wiggle room, but the top shuts just fine.

OK...

Getting my Keezer project started this week. I have a few questions.

I scored a Kenmore 13 Cubic Foot freezer from Craig's List. $175, manufactured in 2009, and listing for about $400 new.

I measured depth, and the hump appears to be about 10" in height.

Overall depth is 29", so the hump depth is 19".

If I build a 6" collar, I would have PLENTY of space for two kegs on the hump. But the biggest concern I had was for the hinges on the back. The bolts attached to the base are 7" apart. If I only make a 6" collar, I would have to attach one of the bolts back into the freezer unit? Do I need to bite the bullet and make an 8" collar to attach completely to that?

Not sure I understand the question,but the difference between a 7" collar and a 8" collar are more than just size. Most wood is available in 8" widths so you would have much less cutting needed. If I understand the hinges, you would also not have to worry about making a hole in the freezer too, so that is another big plus!

OK...

Getting my Keezer project started this week. I have a few questions.

I scored a Kenmore 13 Cubic Foot freezer from Craig's List. $175, manufactured in 2009, and listing for about $400 new.

I measured depth, and the hump appears to be about 10" in height.

Overall depth is 29", so the hump depth is 19".

If I build a 6" collar, I would have PLENTY of space for two kegs on the hump. But the biggest concern I had was for the hinges on the back. The bolts attached to the base are 7" apart. If I only make a 6" collar, I would have to attach one of the bolts back into the freezer unit? Do I need to bite the bullet and make an 8" collar to attach completely to that?

A 2x6 is actually only 5½" wide. When I measured my Ball Lock kegs, they measured 25.5" tall. This may have been with QDs attached, but regardless, if you were to use a 2x6 you'd only get a hump depth of 24.5". I highly recommend using the 8" board for your collar, just to make sure you have enough depth. Also, knowing the hinge will fit entirely on your collar is reassuring.

Ok, so 8 inch collar for safety and such. I was going to try and follow the Billy Blog about a collar that simply sat on the top, and then a "wider" outer collar that extended below to secure the whoel structure. That puts me building a 10 inch collar around the front three sides (leaving some crap to secure on the back). I was hoping to keep it a little more slender.

As for the 7" gap, I was referring to the base of the hinge that attaches to the freezer unit. It's got two sets of holes in it, and they are spaced 7" apart. IF I had built a 6" collar (with 8" frame for appearance) I would put the LOWER attachment in the previous UPPER holes for the hinge, and the UPPER hinge holes attached directly to the collar.

I'm at work, so I can't attach pics... Does that clarify my question?

Just picked up a Holiday 7.0 cf. Holds 3 Pin-locks and the co2 in the bottom and a few 6 packs on the hump with no collar. 28" to the top so plenty of room for hoses and what not. still waiting on my double 525ss perlick tower I got from amazon for 160 so its acting a a ferm chamber with two 6 gallon carboys.

Got a Haier 7.1 saturday and dropped the latest lager in there saturday evening. looks fine, fits the limited space I had and should hold 4 kegs on the floor no collar needed. I'll see if I can also fit a 2.5g on the hump. Currelntly holding two 5g pails.

IMG_2966.JPG
[/IMG]

My stand up keezer just poured its last pint as it wasn't holding temperature below 55*. Hope I can get the Maytag 14.8 when it goes on sale. They haven't dropped it below $400 in a while, but I saw it as cheap as 299 within the past year, if it gets to that price, I am going to have to buy it. Shooting myself for jot picking it up at that price when I saw it!

Hey ya'll.

Put my keezer together with a Frigidaire 8.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)
Item #: 90724 Model #: LFFC09M5HW from Lowe's.

There wasn't too much info out there about this freezer (many people refer to it at a 9 cu. ft.), but I was pretty sure from poking around on HBT that I'd be able to get 6 kegs in there. I ended up being able to fit 7!

For visual proof, here's a picture with seven kegs, four on the floor, and three more on the hump (one is barely on the hump, and could probably be pushed to the floor, but why bother). I opted to keep my CO2 tank outside the keezer.

This thing has been great, I can serve four beers and carb up three more that are on deck!

Hope this helps out anyone looking at this particular chest freezer.
Thanks for posting this. I've decided to do a keezer build with a collar for now and have been eyeing this freezer. I think I'm going to pick it up today at Lowe's since it's on sale for $287.10.

Eventually I'm going to build a coffin to match my humi I built in 2008/2009.
2417131180044853923S600x600Q85.jpg

2915928890044853923S600x600Q85.jpg

I read somewhere that the GE 7.0 from Sam's doesn't fit four on the floor, but the Home Depot version does. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions for fitting four on the floor at around the $200 price point? I'll be building a collar, but would like to get four on the floor.

Have the holiday 5.0 from lowes. Have 2 cornies in there now. Want to swap one of the cornies for a commercial sanke 1/4 barrel. In checking the sizing I am concerned that it will not fit by about an inch.
Has anyone need able to fit a corny and sanke in the same unit?I guess I might be able to squeeze them all in if I build a collar on it. Would prefer to keep it stock.

blokeyhighlander said:
I read somewhere that the GE 7.0 from Sam's doesn't fit four on the floor, but the Home Depot version does. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions for fitting four on the floor at around the $200 price point? I'll be building a collar, but would like to get four on the floor.

Wondering this same think. I'm now contemplating buying 2 7.0 cu ft freezers, one for a 4 tap freezer and the other as a fermentation chamber if they can hold 2 carboys. It actually works out to the same price as a 14 cu ft but it will save a lot more with electricity since they won't both be on all the time.

I've been waiting for a good deal at the big box stores but can't wait any longer. I've outgrown my upright beer-fridge in the garage and need more space ASAP! I think I'll pull the trigger on the Frigidaire 14.8 - it's on sale for $395 at Lowes.

Blue_Monkey said:
I've been waiting for a good deal at the big box stores but can't wait any longer. I've outgrown my upright beer-fridge in the garage and need more space ASAP! I think I'll pull the trigger on the Frigidaire 14.8 - it's on sale for $395 at Lowes.

Decent price! Wish I could do the same but I have home depot gift cards! :(

Can anyone confirm that the GE 7.0 cu. Ft. Freezer from Home Depot can fit 4 ball locks on the floor? I am considering it and would be building a collar so height doesn't matter.

Also, can you fit 2 6.5 gallon better bottles or ale pails in this same freezer? I may get 2 of them, one for a keezer and one for a fermentation chamber...

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Can anyone confirm that the GE 7.0 cu. Ft. Freezer from Home Depot can fit 4 ball locks on the floor? I am considering it and would be building a collar so height doesn't matter.

I was just hoping to confirm the same thing when I saw the deal to get it for $168. There is a GE 7.0 cf model shown on page 1 but I dont know how old that is or if it has changed at all.

Just bought the 7.0 GE from home depot. Should have it by Saturday and going to start my keezer build. Can't wait as I have been without one for a month already and my kegs are building up!

jesse55lv said:
Hey ya'll.

Put my keezer together with a Frigidaire 8.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)

There wasn't too much info out there about this freezer (many people refer to it at a 9 cu. ft.), but I was pretty sure from poking around on HBT that I'd be able to get 6 kegs in there. I ended up being able to fit 7!

For visual proof, here's a picture with seven kegs, four on the floor, and three more on the hump (one is barely on the hump, and could probably be pushed to the floor, but why bother). I opted to keep my CO2 tank outside the keezer.

This thing has been great, I can serve four beers and carb up three more that are on deck!

Jesse55lv - thanks for posting this. I picked up this exact model on sale at Lowes!

This image should help
Kegs-new.jpg
[/QUOTE]

i have found pin lock kegs to be substantially shorter and slightly fatter than ball locks. people should keep that in mind when ordering and considering how many will fit. you might not need a collar, but you might not be able to get as many in there, either.

Went out this afternoon looking at chest freezers. These are from Menards and Lowes:

Frigidaire 9.0 Cu Ft Model LFFC09M5HW
rL54Y.jpg

bJ7Ov.jpg

Frigidaire 15 Cu Ft Model LFFN15M5HW
This will really hold 6 (8 if you put a collar on it) I ran out of cardboard :p
4YL7x.jpg

21Jru.jpg

Holiday 7 Cu Ft Model LCM070LC
ts2n8.jpg

5jqBF.jpg

Holiday 5 Cu Ft Model LCM050LC
NDJ00.jpg

4gJ1B.jpg

Amana 14.8 Cu Ft Model AQC1518TEW
This will really hold 7 (8 on shelf if you create a collar)
0DPdo.jpg

s0Bv2.jpg

Professional Series 10.6 Cu Ft Model PS72101
uaqJW.jpg

SeWQt.jpg

Professional 7 Cu Ft Series Model PS72731
xmJWi.jpg

tdOFU.jpg

Professional Series 5.3 Cu Ft Model PS72451
9YObi.jpg

mzqWm.jpg

What size circles are you using? Check out post 559 for that same fridgidair 9 cubic foot holding 7 kegs...

Hey ya'll.

I'm looking for the interior dimensions of the Frigidaire FFC0723GB, I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could provide these for me. Thanks!!!

eabostrom said:
I'm looking for the interior dimensions of the Frigidaire FFC0723GB, I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could provide these for me. Thanks!!!

Go to frigidaire's site and search on that model number and you'll get a page for it - check out the specifications section:

Internal Specifications
Interior Height
28-3/4"
Interior Depth
16-1/2"
Interior Width
30"
System Compartment Height
10"
System Compartment Width
11-1/8"
Exterior Dimensions
Width
35"
Depth
23-1/4"
Height
34-1/4"
Height (Include Lid)
34-1/4"
Height with Lid Open 90°
55-5/16"

eabostrom said:

Go to frigidaire's site and search on that model number and you'll get a page for it - check out the specifications section:

Internal Specifications
Interior Height
28-3/4"
Interior Depth
16-1/2"
Interior Width
30"
System Compartment Height
10"
System Compartment Width
11-1/8"
Exterior Dimensions
Width
35"
Depth
23-1/4"
Height
34-1/4"
Height (Include Lid)
34-1/4"
Height with Lid Open 90°
55-5/16"

http://www.packomania.com/

This may be helpful to everyone. All you need is the inside dimensions of the freezer you are considering, or anything really, and the diameter of your corny kegs. For the most part you'll either have 8" or 9" round kegs. Select Circles within a Square. Then choose Applications. You enter the side length of your freezer and the diameter of your cornys and it will spit out a number and a diagram. You can also choose circles within a rectangle if you have a large freezer.

A guy is selling a 3 year old kenmore freezer, but didn't provide cubic feet or model number. His ad reads:

Kenmore freezer, mid size- 35" wide/ 21" deep/ 34" high.

Any idea how many kegs this might hold?

A guy is selling a 3 year old kenmore freezer, but didn't provide cubic feet or model number. His ad reads:

Ask about the dimensions of the hump. This is typically the limiting factor for fitting legs into a freezer, unless you build a collar &/or stand.

Does anyone know if putting a piece of wood paneling(1/8" thick), if it would mess with the cooling capability of a freezer? I just bought a 7.2 freezer and was thinking of putting a piece on the front only, but I have noticed that another freezer I have seems to send the heat out through the sides. Do chest freezers use the front as well?

Yes the freezers I'm familiar with release heat from the front. I'm pretty certain that the wood I glued to the front and sides is what killed my last keezer. My new one gets warm on the front and sides while running. I wouldn't put anything that might interfere with it's ability to release heat personally.

Yeah, you are most likely right. I may try it with spacing it away from the front of the freezer .5 to 1" if I can figure an easy way to do that. Maybe I will be able to rig up some very small fans that can for in the space that will turn on with the compressor. I bet there are some small laptop fans that may work.

At least 6 ball locks on the floor. The hump height is the factor. If the hump height is 8" or less, you should be able to get another 2 on the hump without a collar.

temp.jpg

I would think those dimensions are exterior dimensions, so there will be less space inside. Probably considerably less.

Back