I like big Butts and I cannot lie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Put a big Pork Butt on the smoker this morning for this weekend's gathering. I think I really ought to mix up some cole slaw for this weekend to go with it.

I did the usual plain rub but I want to try a Carolina style next time. What style is the plain rub with BBQ sauce added at the finish?? That is what is common up here and pretty tasty. But I remember having a different style down south. You can get pulled pork here without the thick BBQ sauce, but it doesn't have the flavor that I remember having down in KY and WV.

Carolina BBQ is unique. They love using pork. South Carolina BBQ can be quite complex and heavy on the mustard. North Carolina BBQ is a lot more simple, but to the point, and the sourest of the bunch. They use a lot of vinegar and hot spices. You don't get that sourness from a dry rub. You get it from the mopping sauce or bbq sauce.

A lot of other American BBQ styles like Memphis, KC, etc. combine smoky and sweet with an abundant spices and a heavy tomato/ketchup focus. This style of sauce suits beefy, red meats better I think.

Does that answer your question?

I found some information online regarding the different BBQ styles. Still not solidly defined, but that's ok.

FYI that pork was a BIG hit. Making a shoulder this weekend for the Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend at another friend's house. I'll have to leave some home with the family so I'm also preparing some Atomic Buffalo Turds (Bacon wrapped Jalepeno Poppers, grilled.)

I want even more mop sauce and maybe this time I'll make some finishing sauce just to try it.

Back