Crispin Hoeny Crisp Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this is a dead thread, but I just had it last night while I was failing to bottle my graff (always make sure you have bottle caps before racking to the bottling bucket and priming,doh!) and I thought it was excellent. If homebrew cider can taste like that then I want in.
So any ideas anyone?

Honey crisp is a variety of apple that's great for a bunch of different things so I'm thinking that's what the name is referring to.

So I might have figured it out with my brother in-law (who is a home wine maker) I think if we just use apple juice, sugar, and a cider yeast, ferment, when ready kill the fermentation, than add a few pounds of honey, it should be pretty close. The honey they use isn't fermented, that's why the cider is so cloudy, it's the unfermented honey in the bottle. We will give it a shot, and let you know how it turns out.

I think they're trying to emulate the flavor of a honeycrisp apple, but I doubt they used honeycrips as they're pretty damn sweet. From what I've read in research, sweeter dessert apple usually don't yield good ciders, but the Crispin label does list Malic acid and "natural flavors" so who knows what they used.

I believe that they typically use commercially produced apple juice for their cider bases. I went cider tasting at the Fox Barrel Brew spot in Colfax around Christmas and this is what they told me. They may add in some other varietal juice for complexity but the malic acid, natural flavors and potentially a malo lactic fermentation may be what gives it it's character.

On their bottle, they actually just make a regular hard cider from a variety of apples and add honey. I don't know why they have Honey Crisp. It has nothing to do with the apple.

There are some cideries (or whatever) that do make a honeycrisp cider. I also tried making one but I can't recall if I bottled it, or if I forgot about it and the airlock dried out and it got oxidized. I should try one next year when they sell honeycrisp cider again.

Unfortunately I don't know how much honey they use, and it's probably something they add after adding sulfites to stop fermentation.

I've made some cider using honeycrisp juice. Honeycrisp juice is sold by Cadia organics. They also sell a Gravenstein variety. It is sweet with a good tart flavor. Not too acidic. After fermentation it had a good smell for a while but it seemed to disappear after a couple of months. It seems that the flavor does the same thing because I tried some of it recently and it seemed to possess a thinner flavor but was more acidic. I bet an MLF would soften it and maybe bring some flavor back out.

Back