Pick up tube "inside" of braided hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
So Im thinking using a 1/4" ID copper pick up tube on a compression fitting in the mash tun. I want to have it long enough to end in the center of the tun(rectangular cooler).then use a 1/2" braided SS tube along the length of the copper to the edge of the cooler.

The purpose of this would be to eliminate the dead space in the tun while still allowing it to drain in the traditional way. My bulk head is about 1.5" above the base so I have significant draining issues.

Is this doable? My current system is a PEX nightmare and I want to try something different with less dead space.

Why not angle the tube down to the bottom of the cooler by the outlet & connect the braid to it. Say a 90 & a 90 elbow or just a bend. I've read that you only need a few inches of the braid to actually batch sparge anyway. I think you're making it too complicated... Cheers!!!

Yes, it would be possible. If I were building it, I'd have the tube come from the spigot opening, run straight for a couple of inches, bend 90° downward, bend another 90° so that it runs parallel with the bottom of the tun, then run a few more inches and then end. Something I might try is to drill some small holes near the underside of the tube so you have some suction in more than one place (other than the end of the tube only). The end of the braid will have to be plugged with something and I'd be afraid of the plug plugging the end of the tube too much.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, I think I will try for a quick 90-90 approach for it(I can probably reuse some pex for it, but how necessary is it to reinforce the braided hose on a rectangular cooler? I know the pressure can be an issue on keggles and cylindrical coolers, but will it be as bad with my rectangular?

I don't reinforce mine & never had a problem. If you do, I've heard you can take a length of 14ga. copper wire & wrap it loosely around a pencil (so there is ample gap between the coils) and insert it in the braid. Cheers!!!

Here are a couple pics:

MashTun4.jpg

MashTunDrain.jpg

Back