Dealing with deadbeat sellers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
**This has nothing to do with HBT or HBT sellers**

Since HBT is one of the more sophisticated forums I deal with, I wanted to get an idea of how individuals here might deal with this issue.

I recently placed an order with a seller for a fairly high dollar (~2k) system after doing a good bit of research. The site had a forum and there were really no red flags. The seller came off as reputable guy and was very responsive and helpful up until he got my money. Since he received and cashed my check, I went two weeks without contact from him. In this time he has allowed threads on his forum to persist talking about how much of a deadbeat he actually is- which means to me that he is actually going hands off with the entire business.

It wasn't until I actually attempted to cancel my order (with a week full of emails and phone calls to his personal cell phone) that I heard back from him, stating that my custom order could not be canceled and that it was shipped last Tuesday (without notifying me?)- he'll get a tracking number for me Monday.

Unfortunately, this appears to be his modus operandi, as he routinely fails to produce tracking numbers and shipments never appear. It seems that many individuals have been waiting months for their orders (clearly they are more patient or trustworthy than I am.) At the moment, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and will provide 30 days from the date of payment for the shipment to appear.

I know that several individuals here may have had experiences with Tom Hargrave, but I believe those were credit card payments (*I did not buy from him, but he is a deadbeat seller folks might have experience from/with*.) Its too late to cancel my check to my "seller", and I'm kicking myself for going through with this.

At the end of the 30 days, I was thinking I'd be contacting his state's (Washington State) Attorney General, however I've seen that fail in the past. I don't know any lawyers either here or there, but I would like to get advice on a course of action? This guy seems to be a routine deadbeat seller full of excuses (mostly family issues).

Thanks, its not kegkits that I'm dealing with, just looking for people that may have had to deal with the run around from him... I sure wish I had that much to spend on homebrew gear.

This has to do with the Waste Vegi Oil industry. If anyone is into WVO lemme know or shoot me a PM so we can talk and you can be properly warned or let me know how you did it.

I'll read that other link when I get a chance.

When you are sure he is not delivering your equipment, contact an attorney near you and have her/him start the process of getting a judgment against the guy.

that thread is hilarious! what a tool.

to the OP, i hope you get it straightened out, that's a ****ty thing to pull.

I bought something on eBay years ago from a guy in Los Angeles. He was giving me a bunch of BS and not sending the item but didn't know I was out there all the time for work and since I had his address and phone number I sat outside his house one day and figured out who he was, what car he drove and what he was wearing. I surprised him with a call and and asked if he would send my stuff and he was putzing around on giving me an answer until I told him to get in his car (I was specific on make, model, color and license plate #) with the outfit he had on and go to the post office and mail it. He did

where in WA?
i'm 6'5" and fairly intimidating ;)

Seattle, lemme know when you're heading that way next :D

Who is it? I want to browse his website.

I'll shoot you a PM. Don't want people over there flaming him.

When you are sure he is not delivering your equipment, contact an attorney near you and have her/him start the process of getting a judgment against the guy.

Just to be sure, I'm in New England and he's across the country- I want an attorney near me?

I bought something on eBay years ago from a guy in Los Angeles. He was giving me a bunch of BS and not sending the item but didn't know I was out there all the time for work and since I had his address and phone number I sat outside his house one day and figured out who he was, what car he drove and what he was wearing. I surprised him with a call and and asked if he would send my stuff and he was putzing around on giving me an answer until I told him to get in his car (I was specific on make, model, color and license plate #) with the outfit he had on and go to the post office and mail it. He did

Amusing, but not an option :(

This guy is a routine deadbeat and apparently does respond to things when threatened with a lawsuit. I'll never be "sure" that he isn't sending my stuff because he says he's worked on the order already.

I'm giving him another week to put up my stuff (that'll be 30 days from payment in which he has not initiated contact ONCE.) and I was thinking that my next move would be to open a case with the Postmaster General (mail fraud) and his states Attorney General. There are several other wronged individuals on his forum who are much more patient than I am and may be interested in opening cases at the same time.

As far as pursuing a lawsuit goes I'm just worried about being more screwed out of more money. I have all the emails where he said he was making it (I can't prove when he actually did, if he does start making it to save his ass) and then more where he said he SENT it- which is pretty easy to prove if he lied about that- and the fact that he just took my money and sat on it and never once contacted me. I'm kinda new to this kinda thing so getting an attorney for 2 grand... gonna be worth it?

If its transfer mailed cash or check you got just about no protection at all
Can you even prove that the money you sent was for a purchase?
If you have evidence i guess you got even chance ot better if you sue

Paypal CC and COD(if they let you check before paying) gives you some of the protection you are now missing
At the werry least it is clearly linked to a spesific purchase

Hope you are able to screw the fu***r
unless ofcorse the package shows up soon

Cant you find an attorney that does free consult to estimate your odds?

Thanks for the info. I love the thread from the other forum too. Priceless. I'm not finished, so no spoilers! I want to see what happens to that punk.

I hope nothing like what went on in that other thread happens to you, Baja!

janivar, He gave me an itemized breakdown of the costs in the same email that he told me where to send the check, I'd say that's as close to a bill as I'll ever see and proof that I was paying for a custom product- from him:

The system is $1695.00
An additional valve is $80.00
Your custom tank is $400.00
Shipping is $130.00

Check can be made payable to:

His front company
Address
Seattle, Wa. 98199

I'll look around for a place to get a free consult and get their advice on whether I should try getting a lawyer here or there....thats a good idea, thanks.

One piece of advice I hear often in situations like this is to hire a law firm to send a threatening letter on their letterhead. No need to actually file suit so it is a lot cheaper and fear may make him spit out the merchandise.

If you have a hope of winning a suit and the money to do it, though, that would be best. That way he won't be screwing anyone else for a long while.

Well... the guy has taken his business "inactive" I guess... still no word back from him. I emailed him one last time and told him I wanted my money back and that I am about to begin legal proceedings....

Ahhh the Wenzel thread that was a good time and is still a great read.

Have you checked with the Seattle PD to see if they have an internet fraud division, some bigger cities PD's do

janivar, He gave me an itemized breakdown of the costs in the same email that he told me where to send the check, I'd say that's as close to a bill as I'll ever see and proof that I was paying for a custom product- from him:

I'll look around for a place to get a free consult and get their advice on whether I should try getting a lawyer here or there....thats a good idea, thanks.

Man, I'd never send money to someone with a name like, "His front company". That's just asking for trouble! ;)

Back