The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my family to a local microbrew. At some point I grabbed a pitcher of IPA. Very hoppy IPA. The parents wanted to try it, so I poured them a little bit. My dad's comment was "I could make that with some grass clippings in that porta-potty." Needless to say, they didn't like it. I then made the mistake (the second of the day) explaining that it's hops they taste. Now every time I offer my mom a beer she questions whether or not it contains hops.

not exactly my homebrew, but something I thought was disturbingly stupid at the time considering where I was when I heard it.
SWMBO and I were visiting the Anchor Brewing Company on my honeymoon last year, and during the tasting portion, we were given some of their porter. At this point, we had all had about 3-4 ~8oz taster pours, so everyone was chatting with each other. A girl in the group we were talking to was handed her glass of porter, she took a sip, then said to everyone in a slightly lowered voice:

"Guinness is better."

In my head I was like, WTF? it's not even the same type of beer!

Today I got my first "It tasted dark" comment Then found & reqd this entire thread. That coment froma friend who has been considering taking up brewing. Actually liked the brew & the "dark" taste of my Vanilla Cream Ale. It was amusing & a bit ironic to me when T\this thread turned up.

Today I got my first "It tasted dark" comment Then found & reqd this entire thread. That coment froma friend who has been considering taking up brewing. Actually liked the brew & the "dark" taste of my Vanilla Cream Ale. It was amusing & a bit ironic to me when T\this thread turned up.

That's cool! People who don't know beer and are daring enough to start brewing eventually open up to new beers that they would have never like before. I'm a hophead now. When I started I didn't like hoppy, bitter beers but now they can't ever be too hoppy. :rockin:

Ya, I've gotten that "dark beer" thing throw at me more than a few times.

I ONCE told my girlfriend that my Belgian White tasted yeasty (banana, clove, etc...) and now every time she tastes a beer, she says it tastes like yeast.

It's pretty hilarious!

I think one of my personal favourites, which surprisingly I havent seen here yet, was when I heard an aquantiance talking about beer being unhealthy.
He was trying to tell me that its all the yeast in beer that is bad for you...

Any explanation as to why the consumption of yeast would be unhealthy? By the same argument, I guess bread is unhealthy...and how long has mankind been eating bread risen by yeast? I would say maybe almost as long as mankind has been consuming beer. :D

On an antithetical side note, my primarily Heineken-drinking father said in the last week(more than once and with no probing on my part) that he enjoyed my 18-month-old Belgian triple(enough to get seconds) and "beers with flavor" in general. :mug: As my own alleged worst critic, even I thought the aged triple was my best batch to date. Today I also introduced him to Sapporo(which is a much better macro than I remember) with success. Small steps are still progress in the right direction. :)

I think one of my personal favourites, which surprisingly I havent seen here yet, was when I heard an aquantiance talking about beer being unhealthy.
He was trying to tell me that its all the yeast in beer that is bad for you...

But no mention of the alcohol being bad? Hmm, good to know :mug:

A girl in the group we were talking to was handed her glass of porter, she took a sip, then said to everyone in a slightly lowered voice:

"Guinness is better."

In my head I was like, WTF? it's not even the same type of beer!

Sure it is. They're both dark! That's one of the two types. Dark and Bud. :D

I got "WOW, it taste like beer" this weekend. It was a Duvel clone that is nothing like Duvel, but I dont really care because its really good.

My dad has periodically lectured us on how the term "ale" means beer with 3% or less alcohol . . and that the term "ale" was originally coined to identify which beer British sailors were allowed to drink. Who knows, maybe there was some English law governing the use of those words on ships 200 years ago . . but he's convinced that that's the only definition in effect today. He had to stop me when I told him my souped-up Dead Guy clone was a 7.4% ale and tell me that it must be a "beer" instead of an "ale" because of the alcohol content.

He's pretty funny when it comes to alcohol. He used to drink and my parents had some wicked parties when I was a kid (like we had the firewalkers and torch jugglers from that movie "Jewel of the Nile" in our living room!), but then he stopped completely when I was 12 when he was piloting a rental cabin cruiser for 2 weeks. He said he realized that he wasn't missing anything. The funny part is that he's now lost every single iota of alcohol knowledge he once had. If I'm halfway through my first beer, he'll ask me, "so, are you feeling pretty zonked yet?" Who talks like that? Half a beer? My wife thought he was accusing her of being an alcoholic when he did that to her the first few times.

I love how a lot of people equate "dark" with "bitter". My brother is like this. I should just serve beer in steel cups in a dark room.

I don't get a lot of association of dark = bitter but more dark = strong and a co-worker that thinks if it is bitter that is strong.

Most brown and even robust porters are not bitter same with the mild stouts.

That's one of the two types. Dark and Bud. :D

When I was a young beer drinker that was actually sort of true. Sure there were scattered liquor stores that carried imports like Bass, Samual Smith's, maybe Chimay (there were no American craft beers around here back then) but for the mainstream in stores and restaurants there was light beer, and there was dark beer. Becks, and Becks Dark. Lowenbrau, and Lowenbrau Dark. St Pauli Girl, and St Pauli Girl Dark. I met my wife for the first time at a local bar among a group of mutual friends. Everyone else shared pitchers of whatever, while she and I independently ordered Michelob Dark. A girl ordering a "dark" beer at that time was quite the find.

But yeah, I can see why some casual drinkers of a certain age still think in terms of Light and Dark.

Indeed, I remember also when I first discovered that beer could actually be enjoyed (1979 -- it was Beck's). I quickly graduated to dark beers. I also remember as a young kid, my grandparents would take me out for pizza, and usually get a pitcher of dark beer (which was exactly how they ordered it). Even though I couldn't have any (I was 5), I thought it really cool when they ordered dark beer. A harbinger of the future, perhaps?

McSorely's. I picked up a book a few years ago called Real Beer and Good Eats. Basically a combination beer history/bar food cookbook. They had a section on McSorley's. Sounds like quite an historic place. I guess years ago they served raw onions, and women weren't allowed in at all. I'm sure that's changed. Was the beer any good? Do they actually brew it there?

McSorleys is one of the great bars in the US. Yes, women weren't allowed for a couple hundred years. They changed the rule begrudgingly and refused to put in a separate women's bathroom fpr a long time until they were forced. Then, iirc, they put urinals only in the women's room at first.

This was one of the first places that I frequented that puts ice in the urinals to act as an automatic flusher. Genius really, pee on it it melts and washes the pee away.

I brought a bunch of friends there once and after we were there for several hours we found out about a quaint tradition they have. My friends were quite buzzed and getting a little loud so the manager came over to our table with a box of cigars and offered one to each of them. Then he lit them for them. Then he sent the bouncer over who kindly asked them to take their cigars outside. A pretty classy and peaceful way to eject rowdies from a bar I thought.

I met the actress Amanda Plummer at that bar right after the movie The River was released. I think she was 14. She was there with a bunch of manager agent types. She was drinking beers right along with everyone else. I always found that kind of f'ed up.

McSorleys is one of the great bars in the US. Yes, women weren't allowed for a couple hundred years. They changed the rule begrudgingly and refused to put in a separate women's bathroom fpr a long time until they were forced. Then, iirc, they put urinals only in the women's room at first.

This was one of the first places that I frequented that puts ice in the urinals to act as an automatic flusher. Genius really, pee on it it melts and washes the pee away.

I brought a bunch of friends there once and after we were there for several hours we found out about a quaint tradition they have. My friends were quite buzzed and getting a little loud so the manager came over to our table with a box of cigars and offered one to each of them. Then he lit them for them. Then he sent the bouncer over who kindly asked them to take their cigars outside. A pretty classy and peaceful way to eject rowdies from a bar I thought.

I met the actress Amanda Plummer at that bar right after the movie The River was released. I think she was 14. She was there with a bunch of manager agent types. She was drinking beers right along with everyone else. I always found that kind of f'ed up.
It is a very cool place. Not on I'd frequent as I don't think they've dusted/swept/mopped since they've opened, but a very cool place too look around at everything and experience at least one. The Dark Beer was enjoyable. No over the top awesomeness, but a good drinking beer. I don't think think they make it on site.

From their website
In early 1990's Stroh Brewery purchased the McSorley's brand and brewed it until being bought by those seminal suds-makers-Pabst Brewing Company. McSorley's Ale is available to consumers in both kegs and bottles throughout the East and of course at McSorley's Old Ale House. Where you just might find, it tastes a little different!

That place has quite the history

My roommate yesterday upon trying my first finished batch since he's moved in:

"Well...that's a beer!"

Yea, well I have been talking about brewing beer for the last 6 weeks.

My dad has periodically lectured us on how the term "ale" means beer with 3% or less alcohol . . and that the term "ale" was originally coined to identify which beer British sailors were allowed to drink. Who knows, maybe there was some English law governing the use of those words on ships 200 years ago . . but he's convinced that that's the only definition in effect today. He had to stop me when I told him my souped-up Dead Guy clone was a 7.4% ale and tell me that it must be a "beer" instead of an "ale" because of the alcohol content.

I do have to have to chuckle when I read that. Make sure your Dad doesn't come down to Texas, or he might short circuit. According to Texas labeling laws, any malt beverage above 4% ABW must be labeled "ale" or "malt liquor." Any malt beverage between 0.5% and 4% ABW (inclusive) must be labeled "beer."

TL

Wow! I finally got through the entire thread! Took me a few days!

My best beer related comment:
Mom: You are brewing your own beer?
Me: Yeah mom its fun.
Mom: You aren't going to become an alcoholic are you?

Best comment on my beer:
Friend (who is a somewhat educated drinker): *takes a sip, smacks his lips and stares at me.....*
Me: *wait for a bit* so thumbs up or down?
Friend: its good....
Me in my head: Thanks for that build up there so you could follow it up with a generic comment..sheesh.

Wow! I finally got through the entire thread! Took me a few days!

My best beer related comment:
Mom: You are brewing your own beer?
Me: Yeah mom its fun.
Mom: You aren't going to become an alcoholic are you?

Best comment on my beer:
Friend (who is a somewhat educated drinker): *takes a sip, smacks his lips and stares at me.....*
Me: *wait for a bit* so thumbs up or down?
Friend: its good....
Me in my head: Thanks for that build up there so you could follow it up with a generic comment..sheesh.
haha That translates to, "Yuck, but I still wanna be friends". :D

I visited McSorely'son our trip to NewYork two Aprils ago. This is all they have. Light and Dark. And you have to order them 2 at a time.. The dark seemed to me to be an English Mild. Very cool place to visit.

LOVE McSorley's! They even have an authentic grumpy Irishman as the bartender!!! Beer was good, but definitely lighter on the flavor side I thought. Also, I believe that they spread sawdust on the floor so that the spilled beer is easier to clean up.

I'm a volunteer server at a lot of the Beerfest in Portland and about once a shift I have someone come up to me and say, "I normally drink Bud Light (or some other crap beer), what do you think I would like?"

My standard reply is, "Well all of the beers here have a thing called 'flavor'"

I'm a volunteer server at a lot of the Beerfest in Portland and about once a shift I have someone come up to me and say, "I normally drink Bud Light (or some other crap beer), what do you think I would like?"

For a little variety, you could try "Water" next time :mug:

Have they cleaned the ceiling fans yet? :drunk:
I don't think they've cleaned anything since it opened.

LOVE McSorley's! They even have an authentic grumpy Irishman as the bartender!!! Beer was good, but definitely lighter on the flavor side I thought. Also, I believe that they spread sawdust on the floor so that the spilled beer is easier to clean up.
Yeah saw dust on the floor to keep the smell from spilled beer down as well

Or you could be nice to someone who is trying t venture out of there comfort zone and try something new :D

Haven't really gotten a lot of stupid comments on my beer, except for the "how do you get alcohol in it". Then again, I'm still on my second brew.

Haven't really gotten a lot of stupid comments on my beer, except for the "how do you get alcohol in it". Then again, I'm still on my second brew.

Funny that I've never been asked that, but I am frequently asked how I know the amount of alcohol in it, which isn't a stupid question at all.

I'm really sorry to hear that some of you have given up on serving your beer to your friends if they aren't already craft beer lovers. I have had great success in serving my beer to new people, and it probably helps that nearly all of my friends are military officers (pilots mostly) and they aren't very "blue collar" for the most part. Pretty much everyone I know enjoys good beer even if they aren't educated on the subject or willing to buy good beer to have around the house.

Funny that I've never been asked that, but I am frequently asked how I know the amount of alcohol in it, which isn't a stupid question at all.

I'm really sorry to hear that some of you have given up on serving your beer to your friends if they aren't already craft beer lovers. I have had great success in serving my beer to new people, and it probably helps that nearly all of my friends are military officers (pilots mostly) and they aren't very "blue collar" for the most part. Pretty much everyone I know enjoys good beer even if they aren't educated on the subject or willing to buy good beer to have around the house.
I don't think I've ever gotten that question, but no, it's not stupid.

Personally, I serve my beer to pretty much everyone who wants it. Most people I know don't know much about beer, so I usually give them tips and try to get them into craft beer. The funniest thing must have been when I told a friend of mine he should try some Trappist beers. He went to the store and bought all he found (cost him over $50) and drank most of it in one night. But he liked it!

Back