Blueberry Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Picked a bunch of Blueberries and want to make a Blueberrie wheat. Does anyone have a recipe they wouldn't mine sharing???
Yhanks
Tobrew

My interpretation:

4.5lbs Pale 2 row
4lbs flaked wheat
1.5 lbs white wheat malt

Fruity hops low AA maybe something like a Sazz

American wheat yeast or S-05

You can add some blueberry to the mash for a little extra and the rest in secondary.

I would say just brew a solid base american wheat, and add rack the beer on top of the mushed up blueberry in secondary.

I'm doing one with 3lbs blueberry.

I have a Blueberry wheat crash cooling now.

5lbs 2-row Pale
5lbs White Wheat
2lbs Flaked Wheat

.6oz Magnum @ 60

US-05

2oz Blueberry Extract @ kegging

Last batch went so fast, I had to turn around and brew another right behind it.

Funny, cherry extract tastes like cough syrup, but blueberry extract tastes like...blueberries.

I did one... and I used 12 LBS frozen costco blue berries. its a gorgeous blood red color. but the flavor did not make it through at all (it fermented all the sugar out!)! i would chemically treat it at the end of the primary(once fermentation is done), then use blueberries in the secondary!

The flavor has to be the hardest part for blueberry ales. I tried doing a Wild Blue clone and failed miserably. I ended up using some blueberry extract along with some lactose to bring back some of the character I was looking for. To be honest, with the amount of blueberries I put in there, it actually came out to be like a beer/wine hybrid. It's carbing in the keg right now and will sit there for some time. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be better than it is now...

The flavor has to be the hardest part for blueberry ales. I tried doing a Wild Blue clone and failed miserably. I ended up using some blueberry extract along with some lactose to bring back some of the character I was looking for. To be honest, with the amount of blueberries I put in there, it actually came out to be like a beer/wine hybrid. It's carbing in the keg right now and will sit there for some time. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be better than it is now...

similar to me, thats why im gonna sorbate and sulfite it next time... so it doesnt ferment the blueberries!

As much as you would like to use real blueberries your best route is to use an alcohol based extract. About 7-8 years ago I attempted a blueberry ale and the flavor fermented all out. I recently made a couple different versions of strawberry wheat ales and it takes either a ton of fruit which costs a ton of cash or you need some extract.

If you use a half pound of blueberries and some extract you can still say it is made with real blueberries.:D;)

5lbs 2-row Pale
5lbs White Wheat
2lbs Flaked Wheat

.6oz Magnum @ 60

US-05

Funny, cherry extract tastes like cough syrup, but blueberry extract tastes like...blueberries.

Thanks for the recipe! I'd like to do the same, however in an extract version. Does this seem right for an extract?

4.5lbs Wheat LME
3.3lbs Light LME
1oz Magnum (Flavoring)
4oz Malto-Dextrine
1oz Pectic Enzyme (Secondary)
SafAle S-05
1 Can Oregon Blueberry Puree (Secondary)
2oz Blueberry Extract (Bottling)

I almost doubled the hops because I would think that .6oz is a little light. I also lowered the LME amounts by about 1.5 lbs to account for the extra sugars in the puree. What do you think?

My wife loves the Blueberry wheat they serve at a local brew pub The Gilded Otter. I found my first attempted was rather flat on the blueberry it was blueish in color but not much taste . So when I poured it into the pint I added some slightly ground up fresh blueberry's girls love it me not so much. Just a basic American Wheat beer . I haven't made it in about 2 years

Thanks for the recipe! I'd like to do the same, however in an extract version. Does this seem right for an extract?

4.5lbs Wheat LME
3.3lbs Light LME
1oz Magnum (Flavoring)
4oz Malto-Dextrine
1oz Pectic Enzyme (Secondary)
SafAle S-05
2oz Blueberry Extract (Bottling)

I almost doubled the hops because I would think that .6oz is a little light. I also lowered the LME amounts by about 1.5 lbs to account for the extra sugars in the puree. What do you think?

I used the Magnum for bittering, I didn't use any aroma or flavor hops. Magnum are pretty strong on the Alpha Acids.

Look pretty good to me.

:mug:

I used the Magnum for bittering, I didn't use any aroma or flavor hops. Magnum are pretty strong on the Alpha Acids.

Look pretty good to me.

:mug:

Hmm, ok. How about this then, since I do like a little hops flavor in there:

4.5 lbs Wheat LME
3.3 lbs Light LME
1 oz Hallertauer (Flavoring @ 60 min)
.6 oz Magnum (Bittering @ 60 min)
4 oz Malto-Dextrine
1 oz Pectic Enzyme (Secondary)
SafAle S-05
2 oz Blueberry Extract (Bottling)

Here's my receipe:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.70 %
2.20 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.68 %
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 20.62 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
6.00 lb Blueberry Extract (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.95 %
Bitterness: 14.5 IBU Calories: 201 cal/pint

I used 6 lb frozen blueberries. I thawed them and put them on a burner to get them heated, and I also crushed them (no better description for mashing them). I added straight to primary, and it fermented for another 10 days. FInished at 1.008 instead of 1.012. I think it's watered down a bit. Transferred to the keg, and 3 days later, it tastes like a watered down blueberry beer?...

Color is really nice and blue / purple, but there is no malty taste. My wife likes it, but next time I think I will bypass some of the real fruit so I can get more maltiness out of the beer. Maybe add more wheat, I dunno...

I'll still drink it in Slurpie format.

I'd like to attempt to replicate the Wachusett blueberry ale. It says it's a wheat ale with 3 grains and 3 hops. since the beer is clear and there is no purple color, it must be with blueberry extract instead of fresh blueberries, right? any other advice on what two grains to use besides some wheat? thanks

http://greatbrewers.com/product/wachusett-blueberry-ale

Brewed up the recipe posted by Capt Kirks in this thread, but with blackberry extract. 3 gallon batch, with WYeast American Wheat (1010?) and 1.5oz of extract. Just pulled a rather yeasty half pint that is absolutely amazing. Very thick, white head that lasts and lasts, pale yellow body with an excellent mouthfeel. It goes down very easily. I sense this beer to be trouble....and you should definitely brew it up! Thanks for the recipe. If I find it in the Database I'll re-post this info there. Kyle

What is a good extract recipe? And what would be the best way to boost the alcohol level?

I would add a little lactose so you have some residual sweetness. The yeast is going to eat all of the sugar from the blueberries and make it very tart. Maybe add a touch of extract at bottling to supplement the flavor

What about a one gallon extract or partial mash recipe? Is it even worth doing with fresh blueberries?

5lbs 2-row Pale
5lbs White Wheat
2lbs Flaked Wheat

.6oz Magnum @ 60

US-05

I know this post is pretty old, but if you see this could you help me out with some advice for the recipe as a partial mash? I've read that the general rule is to use 2/3 the amount of grains as a DME but I'm not sure which grains to switch out (if it even matters).

This is my first batch using an actual recipe, and only my second ever. First was a Belgian wit kit which turned out great...though it is still green as I bottled 2 weeks ago.

Also I'm picking blueberries this weekend so I wanted to use those. Helps to live in Florida sometimes I guess!

Back