Lager - presure Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some lager in secondary fementation in a Pressure barrel.
Is it possible to force carb with a pressure barrel and if so does it use a lot of 8 PSI CO2 canistors?

Also could i buy large canisters of co2 and some how connect them to my pressure barrel?

Cheers
Chris

When I used a pressure barrel, I found that the CO2 cylinders provided enough pressure to dispense the beer without adding much carbonation. I don't usually drink lagers, but the few that I have drunk have always been much more highly carbonated than you can get with a CO2 injector in a pressure barrel.

-a.

Do you mean pressure barrel as in force carb or is this a completly diffrent piece of equipment?

not a keg, just a normal pressure barral.

I dont even know if u can force carb with one...could i bottle after the lager being in the barrel for two weeks? then maybe add some sugar to each bottle?

Chris

chrisstrong_86 said:
not a keg, just a normal pressure barral.

I dont even know if u can force carb with one...could i bottle after the lager being in the barrel for two weeks? then maybe add some sugar to each bottle?

Chris
I don't understand. Time for research.

Hi there, I think we need to clear up exactly what you are using the pressure barrel for and also look at the term secondary.

Secondary fermentaion on this board mostly means clearing tank, you take it out of the primary and you put it in a new vessel, leave for 2 more week and then bottle. Getting rid of alot more sediment.

When you moved your brew from primary to the pressure barrel did you add priming sugar? If so it will be carbonated after 2 weeks (roughly) after that you will only need the CO2 bulbs to help with dispensing. Is it a top or bottom tap by the way?

I only have 1 pressure barrel, a Hambleton Bard Beer Sphere, I only got it and my first attempt at a stout is in it right now, not quite ready to drink yet.

I do not believe you can force carb with these as they have pressure relieve valves to stop over-pressurisation. However i could be wrong on that.

If you did not add priming sugar to the barrel then leave it 2 weeks then bottle.

I have heard that these barrels are not too hot for lagers as they loose there carbonation very quickly, so I would be interested to hear how this works out for you, I put a stout in mine for the first try as it is not as big a deal if that is not as highly carbonated. Ideally I would like to use mine for lager so please post back as to how it works out.

Yes i did add the priming sugar. I think you are right about the barrels, it would seem that they are only really suitable for real ales and cannot hanndle high pressure levels.

I am going to bottle the beer and add a tsp of sugar per a litre.

Do you think i need to add anymore yeast or give the barrel a shake before I bottle?

Cheers
Chris

Hi, I am doing my first brew which is a Dutch Lager and will be using a pressure barrel as I don't have many bottles. Because it is too big to fit in the refrigerator I am planning on topping up some Grolsh bottles from the barrel and placing them in the refrigerator to cool for an hour or so prior to me wanting a beer. Does anyone see any potential problems with this, will the lager be flat with not much CO2? I have a large canister of CO2 to add to the barrel but this is to just help get the beer out the barrel and won't keep it carbonated?

Back