Root Beer Roots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Root beer roots are somewhat toxic and banned by FDA. Extract needs a certain toxin filtered, the name escapes me.

EDIT: "Sassafras bark was banned by the FDA in 1960 because of the carcinogenic properties of its constituent chemical safrole. A safrole-free variety is now used, with some claiming that it has a weaker flavor than the pre-1960 variety" as per the Wikipedia article k1v1116 linked.

I cant find the article right now, but Ive read that the chemical in sassafras isnt really dangerous. the data they use to claim its toxicity is based on giving enormous doses to rats not only were the doses insanely high but the human liver isnt supposed to process the safrole in the same way as rats so it wouldnt be toxic. but if your concerned about it just buy stuff thats labeled as safrole free.

I've found bundles of sassafrass roots in the farmer's/Outdoor market in Detroit quite frequently. Check to see if anyone's selling herbs and roots....Maybe even at a health food store...

You can order them on line, but be careful who you order them from. I ordered some from a wicken store and you could smell that the packages had been sitting in a store full of burning incense. Then I stopped at the health food store at the end of my block and found everything I needed, cheaper. Do not use molasses to sweeten, that will be the only thing you will taste. I think next time I will try using some extract, 3 batches so far and I haven't been able to get the taste quite right yet.

Sassafras is common in Louisiana where I grew up. Gumbo Filé, is the dried and ground Sassafras leaves. When I was a boy, we used to dig up young Sassafras trees in the woods near our house. We'd bring them home, and Momma made a root beer like tea from them sweetened with honey or cane sugar. Wash the roots, peel off the woody outer layer, then boil them to make the tea. Sweeten, chill, and serve. It was uncarbonated.

Back