Yeast explosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a batch of AHBS Double Chocolate Stout. Everything went well during the partial boil. No wort chiller yet so the chilling went slowly (done within a 1/2 hour). I shook the White Labs London Ale yeast vial for a few minutes and carefully opened it. Man, the stuff started coming out everywhere! I quickly put it over my fermenting pail and got most of it in there, with the exception of the stuff that got on my hands. This shouldn't be a problem should it? I also neglected to sanitize the vial before opening :eek: I can't wait to tast this stuff - should be good!

I bought my first 'smack pack' of yeast and used it over the weekend. When I smacked it, the top of the package burst and I shot the stuff all over the kitchen and a friend of mine who was unlucky enough to be in the line of fire.

I guess I smacked it a bit too hard ;)

Got what was left in the batch though, and its bubbling away so no worries!

It's good to know I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I was a bit concerned for the first 24 hours or so with no activity in the airlock, but after about 30 hours there was plenty of yeast action!! :ban:

Shamrock, that had to be one messy explosion! Glad everything turned out ok. What were you brewing? I've never used the smack packs. Do you like them, except for the yeast "shrapnel."

Blackhawkbrew, I have no opinion yet as I'm a total n00b.

I accidentally bought a lager kit online (this is my second batch ever) and was told that I could just use an ale yeast and not have to deal with all the temperature issues. The kit is "This Bud's for You" as I'm trying to keep things at the golden end of the spectrum as I figure out what I am doing.

I'm drinking a glass from my first batch right now (Brewer's Best American Light Kit) and it is really good, so I hope everything works out OK with batch #2.

Back