Home brew ale yeast or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is this in the pictures?

• Mold

• Ale Yeast

• Krausen

Results are only viewable after voting.

thewall47

Reaction score
Hi all, this is a pretty basic question, I am doing my first brew and transferred into a, what I believed to be a clean secondary fermenter once my SG hit the target.

Both primary and secondary were cleaned with oxyclean then star san. The primary was in a plastic food grade bucket so I don't really know what fermentation of this beer looks like.

I know ales are top fermenting and this could just be a little foamy krausen. I have tried to read different forum post and some people say it's mold. Some replies just call the poster a moron for not knowing it's floating ale yeast, some say krausen, others, say leave the mold it makes the best beer ever!?

What's your thoughts?

photo2_zpsc62367af.jpg

photo1_zpsf1397810.jpg

Without seeing any pics, I'm guessing is just some yeast or yeast rafts. But if it's fuzzy - like obviously fuzzy - then it's mold.

Looks normal. When I secondary I get a ring of tiny bubbles like that around the top. It's yeast and co2 bubbles that haven't popped.

Looks normal. When I secondary I get a ring of tiny bubbles like that around the top. It's yeast and co2 bubbles that haven't popped.

Awesome! I just got a little nervous, since I didn't see what the original yeast/CO2 looked like during initial fermentation with the white food grade bucket!

How long would you leave this wheat beer in the secondary fermenter?

I usually secondary for two weeks to clear the beer out. If it's a wheat it ain't gonna clear much. Only time I go longer than two weeks is for Belgians or IPAs with an extended dry hop schedule.

Yeah, to me, it looks look like off-gassing surface break locations. What I envision is the (remaining) yeast settling down to the bottom of the carboy with a higher abundance in the lowest points along the bottom - the channel that forms a ring around the bottom about an inch or so from the sides of the carboy. From there, nucleation points help some co2 escape and it floats to the surface. The nucleation points tend to be consistent (maybe a piece of hop material or such) so the locations on the surface remain consistent, and the bubbles congregate on the surface in small "islands", in a ring about an inch from the walls of the carboy.

When you have a full yeastcake, it's so thick with so many possible nucleation points, the "islands" are basically randomly spread across the whole surface.

At least that's my explanation for it :D

Yeah, to me, it looks look like off-gassing surface break locations. What I envision is the (remaining) yeast settling down to the bottom of the carboy with a higher abundance in the lowest points along the bottom - the channel that forms a ring around the bottom about an inch or so from the sides of the carboy. From there, nucleation points help some co2 escape and it floats to the surface. The nucleation points tend to be consistent (maybe a piece of hop material or such) so the locations on the surface remain consistent, and the bubbles congregate on the surface in small "islands", in a ring about an inch from the walls of the carboy.

When you have a full yeastcake, it's so thick with so many possible nucleation points, the "islands" are basically randomly spread across the whole surface.

At least that's my explanation for it :D

Here is day 2 of it. There are now more 'nucleation points'?

12_zps5d16e069.jpg

13_zps12686deb.jpg

In the lower picture, to me, the "islands" look like conglomerations of tiny bubbles (i.e. foam), which I would contribute to off-gassing, and nothing to worry about. Plus, they've formed in a ring on the surface which corresponds with the trough ring on the bottom of the fermenter.

Mold, on the other hand, would form where the spores land on the surface and begin propagating (i.e. random locations).

At least, this has been my experience.

stpug said:
Yeah, to me, it looks look like off-gassing surface break locations. What I envision is the (remaining) yeast settling down to the bottom of the carboy with a higher abundance in the lowest points along the bottom - the channel that forms a ring around the bottom about an inch or so from the sides of the carboy. From there, nucleation points help some co2 escape and it floats to the surface. The nucleation points tend to be consistent (maybe a piece of hop material or such) so the locations on the surface remain consistent, and the bubbles congregate on the surface in small "islands", in a ring about an inch from the walls of the carboy. When you have a full yeastcake, it's so thick with so many possible nucleation points, the "islands" are basically randomly spread across the whole surface. At least that's my explanation for it :D

What he said. :)

Back