Are you a super taster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, here's the deal: according to this page, some people have lots of taste receptors which makes them more sensitive to the bitter compounds in some vegetables, chocolate, coffee, and other foods. It also outlines a really simple way to figure out if you are one by swabbing some blue food coloring on your tongue and counting the pink tastebuds. The webpage has the complete procedure. Check out this kid who put blue food coloring on his entire tongue.

bluetongue.jpg

Anybody want to take the test? I did, and I counted 17 pink spots which means I am one. I guess that would explain why I don't like chocolate or most beers any hoppier than a marzen. If you take the test, what is your favorite beer?

Don't have any food coloring, but if your logic follows, I'd assume I'm not a supertaster. I love bitter dark chocolate (I'll happily munch on a Lindt 99% dark chocolate bar), adore coffee (crunching the beans right out of the roaster is a favorite), and don't have a problem with most veggies.

Latest posts

Back