Firts brew problems!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfetones

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer (coopers canadian blonde) and just had my first taste. It has been bottled for just over a week and tastes like crap!! Haha not quite sure how to explain the taste but the beer is still flat and has a pretty bad taste with an even worse after-taste. Think it could have been a sanitisation issue, but I would appreciate any input.
Cheers guys

Welcome to the site wolf.

With only one week in the bottles your beer is too young/green to judge,
any beer needs at least 3-4 weeks in the bottle to carbonate and condition.

I suggest leaving it in the bottles another 2-3weeks you will be surprised how much better it will be
after it is allowed to condition.

Tim

At one week in the bottles,it's likely still green. Give it a couple more weeks. 3rd or 4th week it'll tone down & mellow out. Baring off flavors,but I think it's just green yet. Lighter colord beers can hide flaws less.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, gonna check back in 2 weeks. I think I'm going to try a wheat beer in the mean time!

Quick update, cracked another bottle today after a week in the fridge and about 4 weeks in the bottle overall. Still tastes off and there is only a small amount of carbonation, I think it's a failure of a first batch!

It may've nneded more time in the bottles if your room temp was below 70F while carbing/conditioning. not to mention high initial ferment temps that can make off flavors that might not age out.

It would help if you could actually describe the off flavor you have in the brew. To bottle carbonate, you leave them at 70F for a minimum of three weeks before you chill one for sampling.

It would also help to know what the batch size was, how much sugar you primed it with, and the beer temp at bottling. Batch size and beer temp comes into play when figuring out how much sugar to prime with (in the bottling bucket).

Edit: see others already mentioned time and temp to bottle carbonate. On the tablet while I backup my main system before a hard drive change and OS install.

Welcome to the site wolf.

With only one week in the bottles your beer is too young/green to judge,
any beer needs at least 3-4 weeks in the bottle to carbonate and condition.

I suggest leaving it in the bottles another 2-3weeks you will be surprised how much better it will be
after it is allowed to condition.

Tim

This^^^

My first batch was kinda nasty when I opened the first one, so I put it away for a month just to see what would happen.

Made a world of difference.

Quick update, cracked another bottle today after a week in the fridge and about 4 weeks in the bottle overall. Still tastes off and there is only a small amount of carbonation, I think it's a failure of a first batch!

Make sure it is a least 70deg and give it another 2 weeks at that temp. then put 1 in the fridge for 2 days and see how it is.

I'm pretty new to this so I'm finding it hard to describe the off taste, I wouldn't put it as sour but its something along those lines. Batch size was 5 gallons, primed with coopers carbonation drops. Fermentation temp was in the 20-26 degree range (Celsius) mostly around the 24 mark.
Thanks for all the input guys!

Wolfetones said:
I'm pretty new to this so I'm finding it hard to describe the off taste, I wouldn't put it as sour but its something along those lines. Batch size was 5 gallons, primed with coopers carbonation drops. Fermentation temp was in the 20-26 degree range (Celsius) mostly around the 24 mark.
Thanks for all the input guys!

Your issue may be high fermentation temps. Is the flavor kind of fruity/estery? Was the 24 Celsius the air temperature or your beer temp during fermentation?

Lots of variables.

What did you use to sanitize?

What were your ingredients?

Did you cover during the boil?

what was the original gravity?

How much of what kind of hops?

Does you water have Chlorine, or even Chloramine?

Did you use bleach in your cleaning process?

How much yeast? What kind?

Lots of variables.

What did you use to sanitize?

What were your ingredients?

Did you cover during the boil?

what was the original gravity?

How much of what kind of hops?

Does you water have Chlorine, or even Chloramine?

Did you use bleach in your cleaning process?

How much yeast? What kind?

:off:
What is your quest?
What is the airborne speed of an unladen swallow? :D

At 24C,you could have some diecytl problems.

True, since that's 75F (for those of us who don't think in metric or C)... :D

No idea what yeast the OP used, so it's highly possible he's got bad taste from that (at too high a temperature).

"Cooper's kits, for when you want that 'bad taste' in your mouth" :eek:

Cooper's kits of themselves don't make bad beer,brewers make bad beer. I've made some good ales with Cooper's cans,DME & hops.

Probably true. But I found early on that good temps & patience are a must with Cooper's cans. Not to mention,rehydrating the 7g yeast packets. Evwen 1/2tsp dextrose in the rehydrating water worked wonders.

Used the yeast in with the kit, no extra ingredients. Didn't boil. 24 was the vessel temp not the ambient temp.

Back