DFH 60 min Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaganoosh

Reaction score
I am about to embark on my first all grain batch which will be the 60 min and am curious about the hop schdule. The most popular recipe I have found calls for:

3/4 oz. - Warrior - 60-35 min. continuous
1/3 oz. - Simcoe - 35-25 min. continuous
3/4 oz. - Palisade - 25-0 min. continuous
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - Dry hop
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - Dry hop
1/2 oz. - Glacier - Dry hop

However, in Sam Calagione's book "Extreme Brewing" there is an extract recipe of 60 minute IPA from Bryan Selders with the following hop schedule:

1/2 oz. - Warrior - 60 min. continuous
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - 60 min. continuous
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min. continuous
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - End of boil
1 oz. - Amarillo - Dry hop
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - Dry hop

I am inclined to try the schedule from the book because the recipe comes from a DFH brewmaster but I am just curous if anyone has ever tried this hop schedule due to the fact that I have never come across it online before.

Dfh 60m is warrior, simco, and amarillo. 1.5 oz of hops don't seem like enough to me though. I don't know if you will get your IBUs, the beer is supposed to be 6% and 60 ibus. You would have to play around with a brewing calculator to find out your right hops schedule/amount

I did the version in the book. I don't have it in front of me, so I don't know if these amounts are correct, but they seem low to me too.

I just combined all of the hops (except the dry hops), divided them into 6 roughly equal size piles, and threw a pile in every 10 minutes. Came out great.

The first time I brewed this was the extract recipe from the book and it was fantastic. It took about 4-5 weeks in the bottle before the hop profile seemed right but I never thought I could brew such a great beer from extract.

I am now doing all grain and i used Yoopers DFH 60 recipe found on this site. I hopped it exactly as she said in the recipe. I just transfered it to secondary and dry hopped so I do not have a comparison yet.

To answer your question, I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I would recommend which ever way you decide, do it the other way the next time to see if there is much difference and find out which way you like better. If you think you need to hop it up a bit, go for it, although my preference is to try the recipe as written and then the next time expand on it to suit my personal tastes if necessary.

I toured the brewery in Milton recently. It was a very small group and I was the only brewer in the crowd so I had the chance to chat with the guide. He stated that Dogfish 60 is: Warrior (continuous) at 60 minutes, Simcoe (continuous) at 30 minutes, Palisade (continuous) at 10 minutes. He also said "not telling you how much or what to dry hop with."

Was he telling the truth? Who knows?

I brewed Yooper's recipe last week instead :)

Back