Flanders red bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commander flatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have a Flanders red in glass carboys with oak dowel age now for 18 months. Jamils recipe/epic Roselare thread from the other board/etc.

Will probably force carb 5 gallons and counter pressure bottle some of that for longer term aging.

I want to fruit the other half with cherries or raspberries. Should I pitch more yeast? I'm worried that doing so will scrub the fruit flavor out with co2 of fermentation. All of the fruited beer will probably be bottle conditioned.

Would appreciate advice especially on fruiting and repitching.

flatulently,

My experience is admittedly limited, but those bugs should be able to ferment out the fruit without problems. My friend pitched an old 2004 package of Wyeast Roeselare smackpack into a nasty Koelsch this year for fun, and it did its job just fine.

I'd try without extra yeast first. If no detectable activity a week later, then I'd add some active yeast unless you have months more patience.

Can you direct me to which forum I can find this
commander flatus said:
epic Roselare thread from the other board

Thanks for the feed. 35 pages should entertain for for a while.

Additional thought on your batch, if you're bottle conditioning, the fruit addition will be a nice test for whether you need to repitch fresh yeast for bottling anyways. if you do need to pitch more yeast, make sure it's from an active starter going into that battle zone of acidic alcohol and bugs.

I've done this with a Flanders Red and tart cherries. I did not repitch and everything worked out just fine. :mug:

Don't worry the bugs will eat the berries up without additional yeast. I put berries on half my Flanders batch a year later and they consumed all the sugars.

Here it is. Didn't realize it would be so full. Hope it doesn't explode!!!!!

image-2148086004.jpg

Latest posts

Back