last nights failure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short.

I brewed a dry stout yesterday. I got my first plate chiller in on Saturday. The hose couldn't handle the heat of the Wort, so I emptied the hot wort into my bucket (about a gallon was lost, I topped it off with water). Attempted to cool with ice, it was already very late at this point so I sealed it with my lit and put an air lock on it. The yeast smack pack was good to go, but I put in fridge. So this morning I pitched the yeast, it seemed to be in clumps.

How screwed is my batch?

what yeast was it? i've heard some coming out being funky like that.

also, you'll be fine. there are quite a number of us that chill that way, not that SPECIFIC way however... but chilling over night that is :)
if you throw the airlock in there, it will unfortunately suck in a bunch of the sanitizer, but that shouldn't harm anything.

if that happens again and it's getting late, at flame out, throw the lid on the kettle and sit it outside or on the floor somewhere till it cools enough (takes about 24-36 hours in some cases for my beers)

I always hear how important cooling quickly is, I guess I'll find out soon. The yeast was Wyeast California Common. I forgot the number. Like I said it inflated properly and was good to go when I was planning on pitching it originally, but due to me waiting another 7 or 8 hours, I out it back into the fridge. Was that the right move or not? Also I pitched it cold.

Edit: the airlock was still full when I got to it in the morning.

My first batch using Wyeast is fermenting now, and I did the same thing. I smacked the pack, let it swell, and put it overnight in the fridge. After 18 hours or so it was going well. The Wyeast website FAQs says that it is fine to do, just use as soon as possible. I brought it back to room temp before pitching though.

tweers said:
My first batch using Wyeast is fermenting now, and I did the same thing. I smacked the pack, let it swell, and put it overnight in the fridge. After 18 hours or so it was going well. The Wyeast website FAQs says that it is fine to do, just use as soon as possible. I brought it back to room temp before pitching though.

If I weren't half asleep when I did this I probably would have waited a bit as well. Looks like I'm not screwed after all. I want this stout for st pattys day!

I found WLP irish stout yeast to be very chunky even after vigorous shaking in the tube. I finally said screw it and dumped it in. Beer turned out fine.

Back