20 Amp Temp control for True Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All,
I have a chance to pick up a True double door Stainless steel freezer. I am looking at using this for a fermentation chamber, cold storage, etc. The only issue I see is that it requires a 120 v/20 amp circuit and looking at the Ranco, it is a 16 amp max. Does anyone know of a dual stage temp control that can handle 20 amps?

I know the true is overkill, but for the price I can get it for, go big or dont go at all.

Thanks

you could probably modify the Ranco. I don't have one, so I don't know what's inside it, but I expect there's probably a relay handling the switching. Replacing that with a larger-rated one would work, or use an external relay (use the ranco to power the relay coil). Or, you could use a low-voltage digital temperature controller (like a PID) and use that to bypass the internal thermostat.

Depends on your level of electrical expertise.

just went with a craigslist 21 CF upright for 100 bucks. Just ran the wiring for the love tss2 and test it out. It takes up enough room in my small garage, glad I did not get the True. it was 49 Cu

Glad I stumbled across this post and hope it's not dead. I have a True T-49F and am having the same issue finding a digital 2-stage thermostat controller for it. Anyone have any other thoughts? I ran across this link: http://anarchylane.com/blog/?page_id=378 and am a little nervous about trying it. Any suggestions?

Back