wine yeast vs baker's yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medoo289

Reaction score
sorry if its a common question
but I was wodering if it is possible to make wine with baker's yeast (active dry yeast) like saf-instant for example
active_dry_yeast_large1.jpg

as both are basicly "Saccharomyces cerevisiae"

any experience ?

bakers yeast leaves it hot, to me. tried making "joe's ancient orange mead" twice, just to make sure i didn't do anything wrong, and ended up choking it down the first time, and dumping the second batch. i've made wine several times with montrachet, and i keep doing it.

Brewers yeast and Baker's yeast are both of the same species, but have been selected for specific functional usage by humans. Much like every dog is the same species (Canis familiaris) decended from the same grey wolf species (Canis lupus), so are yeast.

So, can you brew with baker's yeast? Sure. But it has not been selected for flavor, flocculation, ethanol tolerance, or similar traits that brewers yeast strains have been.

In short, there is a very simple answer to the question of why people don't brew with the cheap-ass baker's yeast at every local grocery store... because that yeast is not selected for the characteristics that make good beer of any kind.

I just noticed your location. Perhaps good brewers yeast is not readily available in your area? You may be best off culturing it up from the some bottle conditioned beers that you like?

thank you lumpher for sharing
I want to use baker's yeast becoase I can't get wine yeast from where I am

any other have experience with baker's yeast or any ather yeast or any way to make wine yeast :p

You would probably have better luck culturing up some wild yeast than by using baker's yeast.

You can't have wine yeast imported from Europe or maybe Egypt? It would probably be relatively inexpensive to have shipped in but I don't know the local international laws in Libya!

Baker's yeast also isn't produced under the same rigid sanitiary/sterile conditions as brewers yeast.
A little 'wild' yeast in bread yeast causes no problems since it only 'works' on the bread for a few hours.
A little wild yeast in beer or wine can give you sour beer, wine, or worse. Key word "could". There's no guarantee. My first mead was with bread yeast, but its not something I generally recommend unless you have no alternatives.

So in your case, bread yeast might be your only choice. Just don't expect award winning wine :)

thank you rander.

no I can't have wine yeast imported it's illegal.

I will make some researchs about culturing wild yeast and if you know a good topic about it that will be verry appreciated.

malkor thank you

Brewers yeast and Baker's yeast are both of the same species, but have been selected for specific functional usage by humans. Much like every dog is the same species (Canis familiaris) decended from the same grey wolf species (Canis lupus), so are yeast.

So, can you brew with baker's yeast? Sure. But it has not been selected for flavor, flocculation, ethanol tolerance, or similar traits that brewers yeast strains have been.

In short, there is a very simple answer to the question of why people don't brew with the cheap-ass baker's yeast at every local grocery store... because that yeast is not selected for the characteristics that make good beer of any kind.

ok

sorry if its a common question

but I was wodering if it is possible to make wine with baker's yeast (active dry yeast) like saf-instant for example

active_dry_yeast_large1.jpg

any experience ?

Are you crushing your own grapes or using canned grape juice? I would agree that it may make more sense to use wild yeast. Vineyards have been doing this for years. The idea is if you crush your own grapes you don't filter until after fermentation. This leaves grape skin particles in the juice that contains wild yeast. Some ciders even practice this with apple skin. You could even try to open ferment it to catch particles in the air, but this can be riskier. Here is an article that talks about the process. Either way i would use wild yeast before bread yeast.
https://winemakermag.com/758-wild-yeast-the-pros-and-cons-of-spontaneous-fermentation

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back