Methods for filling a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
For my first kegged batch I'll probably hit the empty keg with CO2 to purge the air (so as to avoid oxygenation issues) and then just use a racking cane on the end of my siphon hose in the big top opening to fill it. However, an idea I had, I'm wondering if anyone else does it this way - use a siphon hose with a ball-lock fitting on the end so you can fill via the liquid-out post, with the lid on and pressure relief valve held open to vent the air as it fills. It looks like it'd be a "cleaner" way of doing it.

Buford said:
For my first kegged batch I'll probably hit the empty keg with CO2 to purge the air (so as to avoid oxygenation issues) and then just use a racking cane on the end of my siphon hose in the big top opening to fill it.

I did my first one a few weeks ago, siphoned in through the cover opening, used an old broken piece of racking cane on end of siphon tube to help sink it, so it wouldn't splash, and to keep the tubing from trying to curl up. Had to sanitize the tubing in & out, and it was sketchy as far as not letting it touch anything - I'm sure it introduced some contaminants.

Buford said:
However, an idea I had, I'm wondering if anyone else does it this way - use a siphon hose with a ball-lock fitting on the end so you can fill via the liquid-out post, with the lid on and pressure relief valve held open to vent the air as it fills. It looks like it'd be a "cleaner" way of doing it.

I would agree, this seems like it would be less likely to introduce contamination. I know some folks use a bit of CO2 into one of those 2-port carboy caps, to push the fluid out the tubing - seems like such a setup would work for getting the flow to overcome the restriction of the ball lock and liquid out post. I wish I could see someones setup for how they hook onto the top of carboy - I don't think they're using much pressure.

IMHO, just siphon your beer through the cover like you would into a bottling bucket. Once the keg is full, put pressure on it, wait a couple minutes, and pull the purge to eject all of the air thats floated to the top. You'll be left with beer/w co2 on top.

My last batch I did just what you suggest and filled in the liquid port on the keg with a ball lock it was very clean. I'll likely use this method again next time too.

KitrGy said:
My last batch I did just what you suggest and filled in the liquid port on the keg with a ball lock it was very clean. I'll likely use this method again next time too.

Can you explain how you set it up, and/or show some photos? :confused:

One tip: if you are going to use this method, before you start, completely tear down and sanitize the ball lock fitting. Not just the keg post--- the fitting as well.

Really, I've never had issues just racking through the lid. I figure the added expense of a specialized tube/fitting just for kegging isn't worth the effort. Besides, it's easier to sanitize a siphon tube than it is a siphon tube with a ball lock fitting on the end.

if you are taking the post off, there's no reason not to take the 3 seconds to pop out the valve. Considering the amount of time saved with kegging, thorough sanitation should be no problem.

i have recently gone to siphoning through the liquid QD. i have 3/8'' silicone tubing, purchased a 3/8'' tubing -> 1/4'' MFL, and use clamps. i ferment my 10 gallon batches in a 14.5 gallon HDPE drum, and i use co2 to push the beer, since my fermenter is on the same level. i have two holes in the lid, one to push co2 into, and the other for the racking cane.

i also purge out the keg(s) with co2 before i transfer, and then just like you said, i lift the relief valve. i also have a 50# scale, and use that to measure when i should stop one keg, and go to the next one, as beer is mostly water, so only i reach about 40# increase in weight, i move on to the next keg. it is a rough estimate, but i usually don't hit my target volumes either, so i'm a bit short most of the time, and it's fine.

i've started to really like co2 transfers. i haven't had issues in the past with traditional methods of siphoning, but this just seems that much better.

sirsloop said:
IMHO, just siphon your beer through the cover like you would into a bottling bucket. Once the keg is full, put pressure on it, wait a couple minutes, and pull the purge to eject all of the air thats floated to the top. You'll be left with beer/w co2 on top.
That's basically what I do. I'm very careful to avoid splashing/aeration, and I sanitize the racking tube inside and out. I only purge after filling the keg - put 20 psi on, vent, repeat twice.

kornkob said:
One tip: if you are going to use this method, before you start, completely tear down and sanitize the ball lock fitting. Not just the keg post--- the fitting as well.

Really, I've never had issues just racking through the lid. I figure the added expense of a specialized tube/fitting just for kegging isn't worth the effort. Besides, it's easier to sanitize a siphon tube than it is a siphon tube with a ball lock fitting on the end.

Yep. That was my concern.
If you had a sanitation issue in there you would be directing it all into the main tank.
When you are serving this may not surface as an issue because the source of the potential infection is on the way out.

To me the payoff is not big enough, but do let us know how this works out.
Always looking for new ideas/better way.

Uh. Just take the lid off, fill with beer, fill with Co2, purge, fill again, purge, fill -- done.

I see no advantage to any of the above outside of creating additional work.

perhaps not for you, but i see an advantage for me.

i've moved to 10 gallon batches, and ferment in one container, so when i transfer to kegs, i have to interrupt the siphon/transfer. if i only have a siphon tube, i have to forcibly stop the siphon, with a potential of leaking beer outside of the kegs. with the QD method, i just take off the QD, and attach it to the other keg.

even though there is very little chance of oxidizing the beer even with just transferring through the lid, i feel that i can almost completely remove oxygen from touching the beer using this method.

sirsloop said:

I agree. Much easier. Same results.

LouT said:
Can you explain how you set it up, and/or show some photos? :confused:
Actually now that I'm thinking back I think I did just fill the keg with the top open. I cooled the keg first and filled from the bottom up. It was when I filtered from keg to keg that I was thinking of. I used a Liquid ball lock to filter to liquid ball lock to next keg and pushed the beer through with about 5-10 psi of CO2 on the gas in on the 1st keg. that method seemed to be way to clean and easy.

Back