Sam Adams Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbase9

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of a Sam Adams Summer Ale poured in a glass? I'm brewing AHS's clone now and it's in the primary, but it looks darker than i remember it being. I haven't had it since last summer, but something doesn't look right to me.

Do you mind posting the recipe? I'm about to brew my second take on this beer and would like to compare recipes. Oh, what did you use for yeast?
-Ben

P.S. sorry, I do not have a picture either.

The kit came with a container of extract and a small bag of grains that steeped for 30 minutes.

Can you post the AHBS recipe. I think I might be making a sam summer ale next, but if I can get the recipe, I could probably do it cheaper than AHB. :ban:

PenPen said:
Can you post the AHBS recipe. I think I might be making a sam summer ale next, but if I can get the recipe, I could probably do it cheaper than AHB. :ban:

I just brewed this tonight. Hopefully it comes out good!

Extract Recipe:

Steeped for 30mins:
.5 lb Wheat Malt
.5 lb 2-Row

7.5 Lbs Wheat Extract

1oz Hallertau Hops (60 Mins)
.5 oz Paradise Seeds (15 Mins)
.5 oz Spalt Hops (15 Mins)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Zest(15 Mins)
.5 oz Spalt Hops (5 Mins)

They give 3 yeast options:
White Labs Belgian Wit #00015
Wyeast Belgian Wit #00071
Safbrew T-58 #00401

I used the White Labs.

Note to Mods: I don't know if this is wrong to post this recipe, if it is please delete it.

The problem I'm finding is in the yeast. All recipes for this brew say to use Belgian Wit yeasts. I've been drinking my clone of Sam Saummer and it's delicious, but that Belgian flavor is very out of place. I had a real SASA last night and it certainly was without those tart belgian flavors...

-Ben

Thanks for the recipe. Any idea what the aaus where on the hops? And if any one else has tried this kit, any other recommendations aside from the belgian wit?

PenPen said:
Thanks for the recipe. Any idea what the aaus where on the hops? And if any one else has tried this kit, any other recommendations aside from the belgian wit?

Sorry, I do not know the AAUs on them, I had already discarded the packaging it all came in. I only have the instruction sheet left.

I got the clone a few weeks ago and I got Wyeast American Ale II 1272. So i am guessing they changed their kit recently.

Yeah I brewed with 1272. Whe I did last year I did a Belgian wit. Extract comes out darkrd then irginial but tasted the same if not better. Ahs has a bang on kit as far as I and my keg remembers.

I brewed the AHS SASA kit about a year ago and I still have a few bottles left... I'm traveling on business, when I get home I'll try to remember to take a side-by-side photo. I did compare them a while back, and if I recall the AHS version was a little lighter than the original. Keep in mind that was my first AG batch so who knows if it turned out the way it was supposed to... And I agree with some of the previous posters, an american ale yeast would be better than the belgian wit yeast that came with my kit.

I'm going to brew Summer Ale Clone kit from AHS this weekend. I'm pretty excited as its one of my favorite brews.
Is there a clone for Oktoberfest or White Ale?

Google image search is your friend.

sasa1.JPG

Summer%20Ale.JPG

Back