Growing Hops from Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spine

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased 6 hop plants (female, about 6" tall). I got 2x Cascade, 2x Mount Hood and 2x Hallertauer. Where I live in Canada we will still be having frost conditions as late as May 24 so I was wondering what I should be doing with these plants?

Should I put them in larger pots and run them with fluorescent lights on them until I can put them outside? If so how long should the lights be on per day?

Should I cut the bines off at the ground and try to make the plants focus on developing a root structure instead of a bine? My buddy thinks this is a better approach but I haven't found any posts here dealing with growing hops from anything but rhizomes.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Mike

I don't have any experience with starting hops as plants but if they are like any other plants you want to get them in a sunny window or at least under a light intended for plant growth till you can get them in the ground.

Cutting the bines will cut the plants only source of energy. A lot of people suggest letting them grow the first year to promote root structure.

Back