Success Boys! Zima kicks the bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised it was still around, I thought it bit the dust 6 months after they launched it in the 80's...I was surprised they kept it going this long...but wtf?

Distributors are being asked to put products from alcoholic energy brand Sparks on retail store shelves to make up for Zima's absence.

*sigh* Just when you thought there was one less malternative in the market place...

A Zima costume would be the ultimate industry insider Halloween Costume. Incidently, I have to assume that there is a chance that someone has one of theses in the back of the old frig. That person owes us all vertical tasting.

Love the top two comments at the end...
This is no big surprise. I long ago switched to Boone's Farm as my primary means of taking advantage of teenage girls.
"He says distributors can get remaining Zima inventories most likely through December"

December what? 2025?!?

My buddy thought he saw a Zima in my fridge, just last week. I got quite offended. I then started to go off on how Zima hasn't been around in ages. Guess I was wrong...

I might have a Zima in the back of the fridge somewhere. I know my wife bought a variety of Zima, Smirnoff, Barcadi "Malternatives" (I love that word) about a year ago for some friends coming over. The leftovers have been there a while. I keep puting them out for poker night hoping some idiot with crack one open.

As a side note, Zima and its ilk are biting the dust in Utah anyway as new legislation has removed "Alchopops" (another great word) (i.e. all flavored malt wine cooler like beverages including, but not limited to, Boones Farm and Mike's Hard products) from grocery store schelves and will be available only in state liquour stores, and only if, manufacturerers include some silly disclaimer like "this **** contains alcohol." Aparrantly, Mikes has already indicated that the new lableing in cost prohibitive and will not be selling in Utah.

My grandmother loved zima. I used to sneak it into the nursing home where she stayed, along with a pizza. I got caught once and they lectured me. Being a healthcare worker myself, I asked what's the harm since she had Alzheimer's and breast cancer. Her doctor told them to leave me alone.

Back in the day, I'd drink Zima. The bar I frequented in college had a deal on Thursday that a $1 more, they'd fill the headspace with Absolute Limon.

Or.. If you tipped well, the 'tender would let you take a drink and then top it off.

Well, since I basically lived there for a long time (7 year college student), I was able to power a couple of slugs down and then my boy would put about 2.5 shots into the bottle. For a grand total of $4, I'd have a double absolute and lime crud.

Those were the days when I'd get blasted for less than $15 a night.

I'm not proud of this. But I'm not going to hide from my past, either.

I remember drinking these and also thought they were long since. I don't see how people drink more than like 3 drinks without puking. I have one buddy, who my go-to all around knowit/doitall from building houses from the ground up to the same with a car and then programming the automation for an entire line in a factory. His drink of choice...Schmirnoff Black label. Such a manly man, until he says he thirsty!

I saw Bud with Clamato on the shelves yesterday. That is soooo wrong.

I have never tried this, never want to, but I am hoping this is the next one to go. I saw a billboard for it on the freeway and I almost puked all over the dash just thinking about it.

if you jammed a jolly rancher down the neck of the zima bottle, it was like soda.

I haven't seen it in like 10 years. Who knew!

JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Nebraska

Related: Our state is nearing a decision on whether to treat "Alcopops" such as the now-defunct Zima as.... get this... DISTILLED LIQUOR instead of malt beverage for tax purposes .... as a means of keeping kids off of booze.

They're gonna tax ME and my friends and my wife more ... because some other kids like to get drunk on Smirnoff Ice and Zima. That is wrong on so many levels. It makes me want to become a goddamned Libertarian.

HBT should have a moment of silence or something. RIP Zima.

PS- Saturday Night Live reference "Zima, it tastes like Zit"

I seem to have missed another 5-6 trendies. Except the Boon's, that's been around a long, long time.

Interesting. Haven't seen much of it around MI in recent memory, but when I was in Kyoto last June, it was EVERYWHERE. Seriously. You were just as likely to see Zima tackers and coolers in bars and restaurants as you were to see Sapporo. I wonder if they'll keep producing it overseas?

And as for BMC & Clamato ... I have to admit, I love it. It's called a Red Beer out West. Best done with 1/3 Clamato and 2/3 PBR (or other suitably crap beer) in a pint glass rimmed with celery salt. Reminiscent of a Bloody Mary, and a great slow-weekend-morning drink. I know, I know, I have to turn in my EAC card now...

You know, I'm having this sudden-recall of seeing the Richard Lewis ads when I was like ten years old, and thinking to myself "Man, when I'm 21 I'm going to get one of them!"

...and I've been over 21 for 4 years now, and Zima has not entered my mind a single time. I'm trying to remember if I've ever tasted it...don't think so. I may very well go out and buy a six pack of it, just to satisfy a childhood curiosity. What does it taste like, anyway?

oh hell. My buddy and I saw that at a gas station and bought some just for the heck of it. It's really, really bad.

I did the exact same thing with SWMBO. We looked at it, say that it was like $2.75, and we decided that we were $2.75 curious. I tried to like it at first and I sorta did but I couldn't finish it. She decided she wasn't feeling as adventurous as she was before but took a sip and hated it.

Latest posts

Back