Need a Substitute for Horizon Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
American Amber Ale

Horizon 13% 60 minutes
Aroma: Floral, spicy
Alpha Acids: High

Cluster?
Aroma: Floral and spicy
Alpha Acids: Medium

I'm not sure I want Challanger sounds scary
Aroma: Mild to moderate, quite spicy
Alpha Acids: Medium

I'm NOW understanding the HOPS problem - of lack of Hops.

Couple places (BYO, Austin Homebrew) list Magnum as a sub. If you can't get Magnum, maybe Nugget, or Columbus.

Are you using them just for bittering, or for later additions too?

Horizon is a unique hop because it is a low cohumulone hop. If you substitute using the same alpha acids the beer will be a hop bomb. Low cohumulone means that the hop doesn't have much bittering ability no matter how much you boil it. This is not true with the hops you have listed as a substitute.

I would mabe use an ounce of Vangard. You would only want to use about 6% alpha for the bittering if you are using a low cohumulone hop for this recipe.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest - I was looking for a way to contact you with a question like that!

also thanks for steering me to another thing to explore! "cohumulone"

Horizon is a unique hop because it is a low cohumulone hop. If you substitute using the same alpha acids the beer will be a hop bomb. Low cohumulone means that the hop doesn't have much bittering ability no matter how much you boil it. This is not true with the hops you have listed as a substitute.

Yeah I wish you guys would get some in. I have been wanting to do a NxNW Duckabish Amber clone. :(

- Eric

Being a newbi to homebrewing I really did not know how bad the Hops situation was until I started looking for certain Hops.

Then seeing my 1st 2nd AND 3rd choices were unavailable.

When American Farmers choose to make gas instead of beer there is something wrong with America - where are s their priorities!! LOL

Back