Kegging AG Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteSlark

Reaction score
I intend on kegging a batch of AG Hefeweizen in a couple of weeks and I've noticed that commercial kegged hefe's don't have much in the way of cloudiness like their bottled counterparts do. Will I just have to give up on that characteristic of the beer in exchange for the ease of kegging?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

You don't have to, but over time the yeast will fall out of suspension and to the bottom of the keg. You can stir it back up by agitating the keg every so often. When I keg hefeweizen, I do it 10 days after I brew it (assuming its done fermenting) and its still cloudy for me...

Heh, I'm force-carbiing my first kegged hefe right now too, and was gonna ask that very same Q myself. The answer is exactly what I expected.

Looks cloudy to me:

Hefe003.jpg

Sorry, I'm just so happy the way this came out!

Drink er' fresh like it was meant to be and it should remain cloudy! :)

Now that you mention it, I do kind of feel weird drinking "crystal" weizen or whatever they term it. I have some citrus weizen (american wheat) i brewed a few months back and never kicked the bottles yet (last batch I bottled amen) b/c I enjoy tapping my 4912 much more and I used a lot of citrus zest that needed to mellow. Anyway, by now its crystal clear and its just weird drinking it...

How long should I let this one age after its through with primary before I carbonate and start drinking? I made an extract hefe and bottled it a couple of years ago, it was pretty tasty but had nothing on the real Paulaner.

Yeah my DunkelWeizen will be the first thing in my keg! woo-hoo! I find that 3 weeks is drinkeable, 4 is near ideal for my Hefe's. Are you guys able to get the high carbonation for the style w/o priming? Or should I plan on priming?

So I am cooking my extract hefe on Thursday evening. Do I just let it ferment until the bubbles cease, then keg it? I'm also assuming I leave all the gunk at the bottom of the fermenter..

Also, could I keg the whole 5 gallons, then put some in a bottle with priming sugar and cap it? Would there be enough yeast to add enough carbonation for it to taste right?

Help is appreciated..

Latest posts

Back