No gravity change, but still little bubbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8S

Reaction score
I have a brown ale (OG - 1.054) that was in primary about 8 days, and has been in secondary for 2.5 weeks. The FG has been at 1.011 for 4 days, but there have been and still are very small bubbles still coming to the surface and my "S" airlock is still under pressure with some small bubbles still gathered. With the gravity staying do I bottle even though I see some little bubbles or do I want that to stop as well?

I have read a lot on here and had not found an answer to this particular scenario. Most all I read says it is all about what the FG is doing, but wanted to make sure I should bottle now or needed to wait for NO bubbles at all....

THANKS, G8S

If the gravity is stable the beer is done. The bubbles are nothing more than off gasses due to possible temp or pressure changes in the vessel or ambient

if your gravity reading is staying the same, then your likely ok to bottle. bubbling airlocks really mean nothing more then gas is escaping.

i'd leave it another week, check the gravity and if it's still the same, bottle that up!!

Bubbles in an airlock only mean the pressure inside is higher than outside of the fermenter.

Is this one done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the bubbles can only mean there is SO MUCH bacteria in the beer that it's actually started breathing.

If you let it sit a bit longer it may be able to learn rudimentary tricks.

or... maybe it's that other thing that the guys above me said. But I wouldn't entirely discount my explanation.

I concur with the above. There will be a little trapped co2 in the wort that will escape with changes in atmospheric pressure. It's why wine makers sometimes degas before bottling. Nothing to be concerned about with a beer if your SG is done dropping.

Back