Cutting dip tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with my first kegged brew lol....
I had five pots and 12hrs later was back and forth to the toilet and felt like absolute crap....
I have read that the yeast will do that to you. So I was thinking of shortening the keg dip tube so it doesn't pick up as much of the yeast.

Good idea?

Cutting 1/4 inch from the dip tube reduces sediment pick up but may not solve your problem. My guess is you may have fermented at too high a temp with resultant production of fusel alcohols and other nasties that may play havoc with your colon.

I usually only have yeast/sediment it in my first 1-2 pints off a new keg. Although it wouldn't be hard to do, I usually try to avoid modifying anything if I can. You can try and pick up less yeast when you transfer to kegs. Do you happen to cold crash? That helps. Or you can invite a buddy over that doesn't mind. :cross: Honestly though I've only had it give me some bad farts but that's pretty much the extent of it.

I had a bad experience with my first kegged brew lol....
I had five pots and 12hrs later was back and forth to the toilet and felt like absolute crap....
I have read that the yeast will do that to you. So I was thinking of shortening the keg dip tube so it doesn't pick up as much of the yeast.

Good idea?

Four....maybe not, but five pots...gotta watch out, it'll get ya everytime.

I cold crash in a bottling bucket then I use the spigot to transfer to my keg, I get a very small amount of yeast in the keg.

Your system should get used to any ill effects from the yeast with exposure. Rarely have I gotten the toxic gasses effect from homebrew after the first batch was kicked.

Britinusa said:
I cold crash in a bottling bucket then I use the spigot to transfer to my keg, I get a very small amount of yeast in the keg.

I too cold crash. Primary fermentation, secondary, then cold crash in the secondary for a day or two then transfer to my kegs. I know some will say the secondary fermentation is a waste of time but when I can clearly see more sediment as a result of that secondary that is proof enough. Cold crashing further allows things to settle which will lead to less sediment in your beer.

Back