stinky sulfur smell (yay alliteration)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
So I bottled too soon after stabilizing and my wine has a HORRID sulfur stench to it. Best described as a sulfury urine smell. Some is in wine bottles with corks others in beer bottles with caps. It tastes really yummy and is very strong, but it's really hard to get past the nose.

Will this smell disparate with age?

So I bottled too soon after stabilizing and my wine has a HORRID sulfur stench to it. Best described as a sulfury urine smell. Some is in wine bottles with corks others in beer bottles with caps. It tastes really yummy and is very strong, but it's really hard to get past the nose.

Will this smell disparate with age?

Yes, it should. The sulfur (S02) has a pretty short half-life and should dissipate quite a bit in the next month or two.

if it is corked and laying on its side the sulfur will tend to take a lot longer to dissipate then if its in a carboy. if you cant wait a long time for it to calm down then i would put it back into the carboy and age it that way.

if it is corked and laying on its side the sulfur will tend to take a lot longer to dissipate then if its in a carboy. if you cant wait a long time for it to calm down then i would put it back into the carboy and age it that way.

That's what I thought. I can let it sit for a long while. It's not a big deal. What about the ones capped in beer bottles?

Latest posts

Back