Wax capping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushido

Reaction score
Ella everyone, I am brand new to mead making and I have made a batch of JOAM.
I would like to put a wax up on the batch of bottled mead instead of the plastic caps the cover the cork or neck of the bottle.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, John.

Wax adds a nice touch and completely seals the cork up from losing any moisture when bottle aging. Personal preference, though, I haven't used wax or shrink wrap just yet, but i maintain a cool temp to keep the cork from drying out and crumbling.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the information, will post when I get it done.

I also like waxing bottles myself, midwestsupplies.com carries a decent variety of colors, I litterally used a large soup can, scrubbed it out, added the wax beads, filling it half way, and melted it over a stove burner. When it all liquified I set it in a small sauce pan of simmering water just to keep it liquid while I dipped, takes a little practice on the first few but then it's real easy and you can leave the wax right in the can to remelt for later use.

2012-06-19_18-47-00_759.jpg

I do the same technique that BrewingMedic does although I use 12 oz beer bottles. But the bottle wax looks great and adds some class.

Wax crayons can be used too. I've melted a bunch and added a stick of glue you would use from a hot glue gun used for making crafts. They just don't come out as nice as the bottle wax.

I do the same technique that BrewingMedic does although I use 12 oz beer bottles. But the bottle wax looks great and adds some class.

I'm about to bottle a bunch of sampler packs for some r&d in 12oz beer bottles, has contemplating waxing, do you ever have any problems with wax and the crown caps?

I've used wax with crowns, no problems. It can be a little annoying if the wax you're using is brittle after it cools. I'm not sure of the variation, but there are waxes that are somewhat flexible after cooling that works much nicer.

I've used wax with crowns, no problems. It can be a little annoying if the wax you're using is brittle after it cools. I'm not sure of the variation, but there are waxes that are somewhat flexible after cooling that works much nicer.

The stuff from midwestsupplies.com is pretty easy to work with, I assume all wax that is made for capping is similar, it becomes almost a maleable plastic when it cools back down, I like trimming the bottom egde like in the above picture, it definitely doesn't get hard or brittle.

Back