Dunkles Weissbier Bavarian Beer Mustache Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3068
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Pretty darn good!!
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Brumalt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.9 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 10.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [6.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.1 IBUs
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 7.9 %
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 9 -
6 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 47.5 %
10.1 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.0 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 31.7 %

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 10.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Rest Add 12.37 qt of water at 134. 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Add 10.37 qt of water at 208. 156.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 7.58 qt of water at 209.9 168.0 F 15 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 0.41 gal water at 168.0 F

Just because a hop is classified as a 'bittering' hop does not mean it can only be used as a bittering agent to the beer. The last 2 additions add flavour and aroma. You can use magnum as an aroma or hop as long as it is a late addition.

Thanks for the clarification. Id only known that variety from previous batches where i used it to bitter.

Thanks for the info. Im interested in trying this and making it my first full extract brew..dould you provide me with a bit more info about your process?

Well what exactly would you like to know? The process is just that of the Beersmith print out above. Do you want to know about my equipment and such? I know you said you have not done an AG yet... Do you have an AG setup already or are trying to build one? I will be happy to answer whatever questions you have for me. Ask away...:ban:

Well, when i posted , i was unsure of the infusion process but since i have read up on it a bit. However, i wasnt able to find anything about a DOUBLE infusion. What do u do differently from single infusion?

Also, you mention setup...what do you need to setup other than lautering & mash tun?

Double infusion has protein rest and a saccrification steps in order to convert more protiens into sugars for wheat malts. Thats all you need for a setup... you just have to know your equiptment and its boil off rates, temperature loss, and dead space.

I like the looks of this one but don't know how to get a hold of brumalt... I usually just use a 1/4 pound of Meloiden... suitable sub you think? Or some other brand of honey even?

image-2123436757.jpg

I used Belgian pils because that's what I had. Next time I'll just do a single infusion. Tastes good tho. 2.5 weeks to glass. Bottled it even.

I have used White Labs only. 300 and 380 both I have gotten big banana. Ferment at 70+. The trick is getting more clove.

Back